A Live one

You watch her unnoticed. She sways in the smoky sunshine, reckless and bold teetering on the precipice of death. You envied her in that moment; she was in control of her own destiny. Even in death she had power whilst you were a slave to this house. In life and what came after you were nothing.

She rested on the covered sofa, eyes drifting shut as her final breath left her. You watched her spirit rise reunited with her loved ones. Smiling you stayed hidden content to leave the now reformed family to their reunion.

'Grandma, Grandma' His shouts startled you. You peered at him as he discovers her lifeless figure, pain etched on his face.

He cradles her as tears spill onto the carpet 'No, wake up, wake up, I'm sorry, it's all my fault'

You tentatively reach out; his agony was so raw it saturated his previously angelic features. You could feel his agony thicken in the air. Before you could reach him, offer even the smallest comfort there was another presence in the room.

'The spirits in this house can't be seen unless they want to be seen' Ben remarks, eyes passing over the sorrowful stranger to root you in place.

'She doesn't want to see me' He questioned, features crumbling further.

Despite Ben's evident warning, you could not leave this lost soul to suffer. 'I'm sorry' you whisper.

'Who are you?' The stranger mumbles.

'Someone who wants to be seen' Ben started.

His red rimmed eyes flick to you 'Someone who wants to help' you finished.