Tarayn

Things never seem to work out for me. My life may seem perfect to someone looking in but really it’s a more difficult story to tell to someone who thinks I look or act perfect. For example, I’m walking down the hall in school. Crowds everywhere. You know the ordeal. Guy groups girl groups. Annoying people yelling and screaming for god knows what. And then you spot me. I look perfect from the outside. Nice clothes clean shiny hair. Oh and did I mention the smile on my face? From people around me I seem normal and happy. What they don’t know is my hectic confusing weird life that I live. Every bone in my body screams abnormal. My friends don’t even know. Most seventeen year old girls tell their friends every damn detail about their life and the changes that have occurred. Not this girl. No. to everyone around me I seem perfect. Well let me tell you something, I am far from that.

My name is Claire Vallian. I’m not your ordinary teenager. But do we really need to discuss that at the moment? I don’t think so. My life has had a turn of events. The good and ofcorse the bad. I feel as if I’ve lost my ability to even have a good life.  People were taken from me. And I was ripped from my home. Now I’m here in Washington having to go to school with a bunch of annoying humans. The school is very big. It is set up like a college campus. But I’m not here for the sights. Just one girl. One girl who would change my reasons for living forever. 

I walk into fourth period English. I try to avoid tripping over wads of wasted paper and bits of chewed up gum sticking to the floor. My teachers name was Mr. Bates.  He was a short bald headed man, probably in his late forties. From the looks of it he didn’t like his job as a twelveth grade English teacher.  I find my seat and quickly take a seat. In the process of sitting, me being a clumsy vampire...yes I know how weird! I drop my bag and all my books fall to the floor. I then hear people gasp and I reach down to collect fallen papers and pencils and all my books. I look up and see the most beautiful blue eyed girl I’ve ever seen. She helps me gather my things which follow with a huge but calming smile. “Hi I’m Tarayn. I hope you don’t mind me helping you.”  She said in the most calming voice. I didn’t want to be rude so I gave her my best smile and replied, “Oh yes thank you. You’re very kind.” She looked at me and set my stuff down on my desk and said, “What is your name?” I then felt completely stupid for just dazing off. “My name is Claire.” She just sat there next to me smiling. What did I do? I kept thinking. Class began and I sat forward in my chair. After meeting an angel there is no way I could think of anything else. I felt a strong connection to this amazing creature. And right then and there I realized id risk everything to be near her.

Finally school was over. I don’t understand why I even have to endure this pointless place. But now I have a reason. I walk to the parking lot as quickly as possible. I unlock my truck and quickly get in. After following Tarayn around all day to make sure disgusting humans left her alone I noticed how delicious she smelled to me. Getting out of that school was very important for my safety and especially hers. I couldn’t live with myself if I hurt her. I drove off into the direction of my home. When I get to the Iron Gate I open it and see that another car is there. Who could it be? I thought to myself. I walk inside and run upstairs to my room. “Well hello Claire” a familiar deep voice said to me. I turn around and smile really big. “Oh my gosh Connor! It’s really you! Where have you been?!” Connor was my adoptive brother who I haven’t seen in a couple of years. Long story short, he ran into his ex girl friend and killed her boyfriend who was human and the cops went all crazy so he had to disappear for awhile. There is no denying that I missed him. He was the only family I had left. He picked me up and twirled me in the air and said, “Oh you know, I’ve been everywhere”. He said with a chuckle. I laugh at his sarcastic remark and sat down on my bed with him. He gets up and I can tell there is something that is worrying him. “What’s wrong Connor? You seem stressed out”. He turned around and looked at me and said, “Claire I know what happened today at your school. I watched as you followed this human around like a lost puppy!” I look down at my hands while biting my lower lip. “Its nothing...I promise.” I said, trying to sound as convincing as possible. He knew I was lying. I never could fool him. He shifted on the bed and held my shoulders while looking me seriously in the eyes, “Claire this isn’t a game. Her blood is too strong for you! You will lose control. You are already getting to protective of someone who isn’t even yours!” I shot up like a bullet, my eyes turning black, “Shut up! She is mine! She will never be anyone else’s! You don’t know how I feel and you don’t understand how I need this girl!”   He gave me an evil grin and said,” You need her or her blood. The blood that runs through her thick veins?”   I turned around and covered my mouth as quickly as possible. My fangs already out. Connor stood up and walked over to me and said, “See Claire you can’t even control yourself when I mention her blood and she’s not even in the same room as you. Stay away from this human or I will get involved. And please don’t make me have to go to that issue”. He kissed my forehead and left the room. I crouched down in the corner and cried. Was staying away from Tarayn even possible for me? No it wasn’t. And I could not help it. Even if I tried.

It was a Saturday which was a total bummer for me because I wanted to see Tarayn again. Just after one conversation I was hooked. I walked downstairs to see a lazy bulky man lying across my couch. Ugh! Connor is still here? I walk over to him and stand in front of the TV with my arms crossed. “Uhh not to b rude or anything but are you staying here for a while or what?” He sits up and crosses his arms as well and says, “Why yes. You need protection from this human. I covered up one murder, which by the way was not the easiest and I am not covering up another one. Especially if it’s my own sister Claire.” I look down at the crème colored carpet and said, “You can’t stop me from being away from her. I think...I think I’ve fallen in love with her”. I look up and I see Connors face. For a moment it looked as if he stopped breathing. And then it hit me. “Are you insane?!?! You cannot love this girl! Claire I will not allow it! Vampires are not allowed to date humans! You know that! Why are you always doing the complete opposite of what anyone tells you?!”  I look down at the floor again. It seems as if the ground has become my close companion. “She’s different. I say. Getting the courage to look up at him. “I can feel it. She’s not like any other human I’ve come across!” By this point he’s more than mad.”Claire I said no! Humans are all the same. They tell you they love you and then they rip your heart to shreds!!!” I knew what he meant when he said this. The human girl he was with for over three years cheated on him. I look at him and scream something I would so regret saying later, “Tarayn is not a whore like the mean girl you dated!!!! You were so blind if you couldn’t see Connor! I hate you!” I ran upstairs in tears and slammed the door. I heard the front door open, then close. Shit. Now I feel awful for saying that to him. I would prove him wrong. Tarayn was special and I knew it. And so did the whole student body of Washington High School.