The Runner

• Dedicated to To My Mother

“I live in two unique worlds, travelling between both with just the opening and closing of my eyes. They say there's no harm in daydreaming, but there is.” 

My feet burn as I run on the hot gravel road. Looking up, the sun is at its highest, blazing down on me as sweat drips from my brow like a tap. The silence of the road is deafening, as the only thing that can be heard is my heavy breathing coming from my mouth. The smell of daisies clouds my senses, as I close my eyes to inhale their sweet aroma. Lifting the back of my hand I wipe the continuous sweat off my brow. My legs burn from running and my lips are cracking and blistering worsening the further I run.

I push myself to run up the hill, getting a look of what lies ahead. Stopping at the top, I rest my hands on my knees, taking deep breaths to calm my inflamed lungs. I can see the meadow in the distance.

The only way to truly be free is for me to run far away. By running I get this sense of harmony, as the peaceful signs of nature surround me. I have to get out of here. Before I become like every other robotic person, in this miserable controlled world.

I continue to pace myself, as I pick up my speed to start going downhill, I fall over a foreign object and tumble the remainder of the way. Coming to a stop, I land face down into the gravel. Balling my fists at either side of my head I punch the ground in anger, pushing myself up, spitting out the dirt. Looking down at my hands the skin is ripped back, the pain coming from my left knee is excruciating. I close my eyes before rolling back my tracksuit to look at my knee. There is no skin left, blood is oozing out. I shake my arms and legs to relax my body. I can't stop. Not when I'm so close. I begin to run again blocking out the shotting pain, wincing at the movements of my aching knee, bringing back painful old memorises about the last time I saw my mother and the men in black who took her away from me.

"MAXTON!” my mother screamed my name, not recognising her normal voice but one of panic and fear. I knew what I had to do, remembering my promise to my mother to hide if the men in black were to come. I began to climb the first tree I saw. Watching in shock as the men in black dragged her through the muddy ground and into their car.

 We didn’t do anything wrong but to see us living in peace, made them want to take it away from us. And so they did, that day they took everything away from me.

 I stayed still and silence in that tree long after they've left unable to move with silent tears streaming down my face my frozen body still in shock, I was only 10.

I shake my head to rid myself from such memories. Focusing on my running, it was a long time ago. The men in black have now taken over our world burning it into ash. Demolishing and rebuilding over what we used to call home. There are only a few of us left who still fight. Those that are silent fighters or those being heard, we’re fighting for ourselves, our freedom, our world. But I have to get out, before they catch me. Making me like everyone else. Making me follow, their rules and commands. I run hard and fast at the sudden thought. I just have to get to the end of the road and I'll be free. Free of all this. Putting my head down, I lengthen my strides as I go on running.

I jerk my head up suddenly, at the sound of another person's heavy breathing. Looking ahead I see another runner a little in front of me. It's a young girl with golden blonde hair; she’s looking down not focusing on her surroundings. I pick up my pace, passing her around the bend. Only slowing down when I can just hear the familiar sound of my own heavy breathing.

Looking up again, I can see it. The end of the road. I can finally be free. Taking a deep breath I start to sprint, lengthening my strides. I briefly look up at the sky to see the sun beginning to be blocked by dark clouds. I continue to run faster. Until I'm at the end of the road. I made it; I can be truly free now, free of this materialistic world. Crossing over into the meadow full with beautiful armours of wild flowers and fresh pine trees, I'm able to breathe truly breath.

 I'm suddenly unable to go any further, cut off by a figure standing directly in front of me, only a few feet away. His head is slightly tilted as he looks at me analysing my face. As if I'm foreign to him. Confused I slowly walk up to him. As he places his hand in the air, as if to wave. I follow his gesture. But my hand doesn't come in contact with his hand, there's a dome barrier between us, disconnecting us, this figure, this figure is me.

"No, no, no", I begin to panicky mumble to myself. Placing both hands up to cover my eyes to somehow rid myself from this; this hallucination.  I peek through my hands to see if he's gone, but he isn't, he's doing the same as me. Uncovering his eyes he slowly tilts his head again his eyes burning into mine. "Running away will never make you feel free, you will always be stuck in a prison", he whispers over and over again.

“Maxton back to work, lunch is over”, someone calls from the coal mines behind me. I look up at the dark forming clouds longing as a single raindrop falls from the sky crashing against my cheek. I slowly turn around leaving myself behind in the meadow, where I will always be able to return to once I close my eyes.