Chapter 5

A weird silence has fallen over the dreary car valet, where, as of now, there are very few cars, just about two or three of them

A weird silence has fallen over the dreary car valet, where, as of now, there are very few cars, just about two or three of them. Though, this is of very little importance since these six girls are dealing with personal matters and unraveled secrets.

Alice and Lianni threw the bomb first, then Luella, and Alta did shortly after. The aftermath can easily be perceived by all six pairs of eyes staring at one another, trying to catch every shade, every light, every uncertainty that moves them.

As Mae glances at the dark, moonless sky one more time, Alta groans, catching her attention. The blonde then asks, "Are you really sure you don't want to talk about your problems? You know, I'm here to listen." She tucks her hair on one side, making Kyla, who's eyeing her, sort of uneasy.

Alta looks at her own hands, trying to ignore Mae's question. However, she fails as Mae is glancing insistently at her, which forces her to pay attention to her friend. "The problem is, I caught Lizette with who I wish she'd never end up with," is Alta's harsh reply. Lizette is the girl she's been crushing on since freshman year at high school. The two of them were inseparable - that is, until the incident Alta is talking about.

Luella then frowns and crosses her arms, realizing that she's just been caught. She, according to Alta, is the one who hooked up with Lizette behind her back; because of that, the two supposed lovers are no longer talking. Luella, instead of regretting what she did, seems to take pride for it, given she never liked Alta.

"Do you really expect me to be sorry for what I did?" she asks defiantly, glaring at Alta and Mae and contributing to create yet more tension. She doesn't seem to want to fix things; instead, she wants everyone to listen to her side of the story and possibly believe her.

"I expect you to at least take the blame for what you did, Luella," declares Alta, further enraging the black-haired girl. Tension is escalating to an excruciatingly dangerous level, to the point that the two girls are now standing. They approach each other in a threatening way; Alta is already clenching her fists, while Luella is still crossing her arms.

As Alta is ready to punch Luella's face, Alice intervenes, "Stop it, Alta! You won't sort things out with violence!" She blocks her friend's fist; as she sees that her hard stare is softening, she lets go of her. At the same time, Mae is standing in front of Luella, her blue eyes locked into her rival's coal black ones.

"You really made Alta suffer, you know?" states Mae, but this only earns her a slap in the face. Luella is now fuming and has no hesitation to hit anyone who dares upset her further. Alice and Lianni are glancing at each other, worried about the aftermath of possible retaliation.

Luella's voice has since turned into a menacious hiss. "Shut up, Mae, and learn to mind your own business for once in your life, okay? I'm already fed up with your nosy attitude, you know that?" Mae doesn't take Luella's reprimand at all. Her face is turning as red as a beet and her fists are clenched so tight that they might hurt.

Still, she can't retain tears, which are pouring down her livid face. This scene, while leaving Luella totally indifferent, is hurtful for Kyla, who has stood back for a while. A little too much, perhaps. During these endless minutes of just looking around, only occasionally eyeing Mae, she has since realized that she doesn't know what she wants anymore.

For the first time, she feels like she has to confront Mae and listen to her for once. There's no room for running away anymore. She has to lift that burden that's aggravating her off of herself before it's too late and she might lose contact with Mae.

This is why she approaches Mae and holds her hand, taking her away from Luella's fury. The latter, as she realizes that Alice and Lianni have since got back to their business, finds herself alone with Alta. Facing the person who, along with Mae, is making her life harder and harder as time passes, is painful, but it must be done.

Luella starts. "Listen, Alta, you shouldn't have been surprised if I reacted that way. You know, I couldn't stand seeing you with Lizette. You were so, so, so-" She's cut off by Alta raising an eyebrow and frowning. She doesn't like when she reacts that way, for it's never a good sign.

"So in love, perhaps? Have you thought of the consequences of your actions for once in your freaking life?" Alta retorts, prompting Luella to flip her off. They both glare at each other, not wanting to make a step back and change their positions.

"I thought you deserved a lesson, Alta. You humiliated me in front of the entire school. You were always slut-shaming on me, and you took pride for it!" Luella is now exploding. While her face is slowly turning purple, Alta is not backing off at all. That, in her opinion, is just another of the Suttles girl's shenanigans.

"Lizette and I had feelings for each other, and you ruined everything. Are you jealous, by the way?" Alta's latest question sounds like a provocation rather than an actual request to make things clear. The other four girls are now caught by their argument as if it is the only thing that will keep them from parting ways.

"Yeah, you're right. I was jealous. This is why I hooked up with Lizette," admits Luella, throwing her arms and looking down; believing that Alta will never forgive her and instead will exact her revenge on her, she's about to turn her back at everyone and leave the dreadful car valet when Mae stops her.

"Wait!" She chases after a dejected Luella, whose eyes are now filled with tears. "Is there something you didn't tell us? Come on, this is your last chance to do so, before it's too late."

Luella dries her eyes out with a sleeve of her jacket, then approaches Alta again. The two girls stare intensely at each other, with Alta groaning and failing to repress another frown. Luella stares intensely at her brown eyes and says, "Well, Alta, there's another thing I have to tell you. I hooked up with Lizette because I... I..." Words won't come out of her mouth, and she feels like she wants to throw up.

Alta glances expectantly at her, after which Luella blurts out, "I did it so that I could earn your attention!" The instant she pronounces those words, she finally gets rid of the burden she's carried for too much time.