37 - Build

SHE HAD HIT it out of the park—literally and figuratively. Getting a boy to love her for herself when she had become an entirely different person to get that love—what a way to learn a lesson. Life had a way of showing a person things, even if it wasn't the way they preferred. Ally and Max had become inseparable, both deciding to let go of the childhood crushes they had held onto for so long and embrace a love that had been waiting for them to explore it all along. "You know, I still don't trust you just yet."

Max smiled sheepishly. "Why not?"

She playfully twirled a baseball bat in her hand as they sat on the bleachers in the park, the very same spot where he used to ignore her. "Because, you were into Bunny for such a long time. I would be a fool to think five years of feelings have just vanished into thin air." She tilted her head and studied his handsome face. "She really did put some kind of witchcraft on you, huh?"

Max shrugged. "I guess so. Sometimes getting hurt is the best thing for you. Once I realized what Bunny was up to, there was no going back to her." Ally reflected on everything that had happened the last year. When Imani had come to her out of nowhere with that proposal, she had thought it to be a joke—a sick joke crafted by Bunny, rather than a legitimate plan put in place to spite her. After her blowup with Bunny in the eighth grade, she had kept acquaintances in her circle rather than friends and relished the opportunity to be a part of a sisterhood, especially one where Bunny would be at her mercy. Now, a year later, she had to wonder if it had all been worth it. Yes, she finally had her Prince Charming, but only after bleaching her luscious strands to straw, turning her entire closet monochrome, and giving her loyalty to girls she didn't even know or trust. Was it worth it? she thought to herself as she looked into Max's crystal clear eyes. Was rekindling their romance worth her private life being the subject of a school tabloid? Kim had made her and her sisters, as well as their boyfriends, cast mates of The Real Classmates of Los Angeles. Although some had gotten over it, others looked at her like a controversial reality star who would only be mute for a moment before another big scandal hit. She was above the drama, so was Max, but it didn't matter if everyone kept reminding them of it.

"Max, do you think it will ever get back to normal, that everybody will be able to move on with their lives? Bunny's apology may have seemed genuine but I honestly can't imagine her walking by me on campus next year without a scheme cooked up in her head."

Max shook his head. "I know Bunny more than anybody. I've never seen her more defeated. I don't think she has the energy to fight back. When you're that low, the only way you can go is up."

Ally frowned. She had never figured his adoration for her to be based on true friendship. Bunny had certainly gotten what she deserved, but kids in high school were drama queens and Ally found herself concerned that Bunny might harm herself with everyone she knew abandoning her. She turned to him, studying him as he kicked his feet back and forth across the dirt, tilting the brim of his cap lower as the sun rose higher. "You should check up on her from time to time, see if she's okay."

Max through her the most perplexed look. "Really?"

"Yeah. If she's really your friend, Max, I'm not going to keep you from talking to her."

He threw down his head and chuckled. "Something tells me she'll be all right. At least, that's what Skeeter tells me."

Ally wrinkled her nose. "Skeeter?"

He laughed nervously as he averted his gaze. "They're working on something together."

Ally's mouth gaped open in disbelief. "Working on what—a relationship?"

"I think so."

She joined him in laughing. Bunny was trying to move on from Max and Skeeter was trying to get over Ally. It only made sense for them to vibe off what they had in common. If Bunny had truly changed, she couldn't have been happier for the both of them. It was better that all of this had happened toward the end of the school year. Now everyone would have the summer to move on from everything that had happened, gain clarity, and continue to grow. The only growth Kim would see was the length of her nose as she sought after what clique she was going to ruin next. Wasn't Ally's problem. She had sworn off from cliques now that she had her best friend. Tammy still had a harrowing decision to make. In Ally's opinion, letting Greg go and devoting her time to motherhood would make her a better person. If he didn't let being the hottest prospect in college football get to his head, and if Alley's womanly instinct that he only wanted to touch down in her bedroom was wrong, he would be back for her. Until then, if Max tried to get to her home plate before she was ready, he would be striking out as well. Ally knew that Max was patient, though, because he had waited five years to get so much as a kiss from Bunny. "Well then, I guess everything is going to work out for everyone."

Max turned to her with a serious look in his eyes. "Not if you don't trust me, Ally."

Ally grabbed his hand. "I do trust you, Max." They gazed into each other's eyes, knowing they had something special. It wasn't something out of a fairy tale, but their struggles had culminated into a pleasant reality and that was all that she could ask for.