Chapter 14: Beginning Metanoia

Subaru スバル

"Promise me... Subaru... that you'll look after your sister and... be happy..." The woman choked as she struggled to stay conscious, but her hand didn't loosen from around his wrist, and her eyes were wild and desperate as she stared at the small boy intently. "Promise me... Subaru... promise your mother..."

His heart was screaming but the tears in his eyes would not fall as he watched his mother fight a losing battle. She had lost too much blood from the crash and he knew from the attending doctor's expression that he would soon be an orphan. His father had died instantly in the crash, but his mother had held on... had held on long enough... to tell him this?

Sora was somewhere in this hospital... she didn't know that her mother was dying in a cold room a few floors beneath her.

He gripped his mother's hand with a new determination. "You can't leave us, Okaa-san!" He was trying his best not to cry, not to let his emotion ruin his voice, "You have to stay with us! You have to watch us sing! You can't leave us. You can't leave us!"

Okaa-san gave him a wan smile. "Sing to me now... my lovely Subaru... let me hear your voice one last time..."

He hesitated at first but when she pleaded with her eyes he opened his mouth and began to sing the song she used to sing to them every night before bed - the song that ignited their passion for performance.

"On a spring day that still shines with grace

Megumi de kagayaku haru no hi ni

I brought you into this world.

anata o kono sekai ni tsurete kurukatta

My silver angels

watashi no gin no tenshi

Red strings tangled

akai himo ga karamatte iru

Blessed by the sky.

sora ni shukufuku sa reru.

Bound by Pleiades

Subaru de musuba rete iru

Earth, Sky

Chikyū, sora

Yin, Yang

Onmyō

You are two

futaridesuga

But really one.

hontōni hitori

Love and cherish each other

Aishi, otagai o taisetsu ni shi

As I love and cherish you.

anata o aishi, taisetsu ni shiteru

My lullaby.

MAI RARABAI"

He cheeks were wet with tears and he wiped them away with the back of his hand, his silver eyes never leaving the frail, battered body of his mother as the last of her strength drained from her body. When her eyes fell shut and her grip on his wrist finally loosened, he was left staring at her peaceful smile.

"Okaa-san..." The words were strangled as his body went numb. "I... I promise. I'll look after Sora. I promise. I-I... I love you, Okaa-san."