They're gone

Nico

I was sat in between a tall blonde god and a tall raven haired god. You may be asking, 'Gee Nics, how's you get into this mess?' Well you see, it started on January 1st of last year. I was in my house smiling at a familiar photo of a friend, when the phone rang.

"Hello? Yes this is she. Um...What? Wait no..No you must be wrong." I burst into tears hearing the devastating news. I sobbed and let the person on the other line keep talking. "The funeral takes place on the 7th, the wake on the 5th." The person said. I took in a shaky breath and made a noise symbolizing that I had heard them.

So the next day I packed up my car and headed upstate to New York. I arrived with a grimace on my lips and greeted the person at the door. My bags had already been dropped off at my hotel and I hurried inside the building. I had never had much money and I didn't mind having little. I was thankful my parents paid for my university. I looked around and saw that I was the only person in attendance.

"Are others coming?" I asked weakly. The woman holding the ceremony shook her head. I slowly approached the caskets. They never did like to spread themselves around. We had a few family friends, but that was it. I didn't cry, but ran my hand over their caskets. They were always there for me when I needed them. Now they were gone. They were gone. I hated thinking it let alone saying it.

I suddenly got a call and picked up.

"Hello?" I said into the silence around me. The rain was heavy but I didn't care enough to put my hood up.

"Hi, we'll be there soon." The person said. I heard the phone switch to another line.

"And you are?" I asked, clearly confused.

"Don't worry darling, we'll be there soon." A different person said. "Don't worry Nico."

I froze and tried to speak but they hung up. I froze in silence. But now I let the reality of my situation sink in. My parents were dead.