Chapter 17

(Claire’s POV)

I woke up startled, not remembering where I was. I sit up and look around the empty room, noting Josh’s absence. I fall back onto my pillow and rub my eyes. No matter how long I slept, I was still tired. Damn jet lag would be the death of me.

Josh comes strolling into the room with a cup of tea in his hands. “Well if it isn’t Claire?! I thought you’d never wake up.” He laughs as he sits down next to me. I groan in response and then stretch my legs out under the covers. “So I woke up about a couple hours ago, and I was heading to the kitchen to make some food when I realized that we have no food. I was thinking that we could go to the grocery store.” He says and then takes a long sip of his tea. “Food is a necessity. I think it’d be important to get some.” I say as I roll over onto my side and close my eyes.

“How about you stay here and sleep? I can go by myself.” He suggest and starts to get up off the bed. “Are you sure? I can get up and go too if you want…” I say through a very loud yawn. “No, no. It’s fine. You just sleep, sweetie.” He smiles and leans down next to me. “Give me a kiss before I go.” He pushes the loose hair that fell out of my ponytail out of my face. “But I have morning breath.” I protest, smiling slightly. “I don’t care.” I give him a small, tender peck on the lips.

“I love you, Claire.” He whispers as he walks out of the room. “I love you too, Josh.” I watch him until he leaves. I sigh and close my eyes, feeling sleep take over my whole body.

-RING RING RING-

About an hour into my sleep, I’m awaken to the sound of my phone ringing loudly. I groan and blindly feel around the nightstand. “Hello?” I say after I answer. “Is this Claire Richards?” A feminine voice says on the other end of the phone. “Yes, this is her.” I say as I sit up. “You’re listed as Josh Devine’s emergency contact… we’re sorry. There’s been an accident. Unfortunately, Josh didn’t make it.” The woman stays apologetically.

My head starts to spin as my brain processes her words. “What? No that isn’t possible. He can’t be dead! I just saw him an hour ago!” I say as tears fall from my eyes. “We’re really sorry Ms. Richards.” She says before hanging up.

This couldn’t be happening. I must be dreaming. I slap myself several times, leaving a sting each time, but everything stays the same. This was real. “No…” I cry out and bury my head in a pillow, Josh’s pillow. The sweet scent of him made my heart hurt even worse. With shaky hands I grab my phone and dial the number of the one person I needed right now.

“Hello?” the familiar Irish accent says. “Niall…” I say but then break down. Uncontrollable sobs escape my chest. “Claire? What’s wrong?” He asks nervously. I begin to explain everything to him, but I barely get it out over my loud sobs. “I didn’t understand any of that, but I’m on my way over.” He says and then hangs up.

I get up and head over to one of the suitcases that we never got around to unpacking. I couldn’t be naked when Niall showed up. I unzip the suitcase slowly and open it to find all of Josh’s clothes. I pull out one of his shirts and pull it over my head. I grab a pair of his sweatpants and then head out to the living room to wait for Niall to show up. I sit on the couch and stare out the window lifelessly. I was feeling every emotion. Sadness, anger, guilt, anxiety.

I almost don’t notice Niall entering the flat. Apparently he had a key. “Claire, what’s wrong?” He comes over towards me and places his hands on my arms. “Josh…” I mumble, feeling as though a knife was being stabbed through my heart at the sound of his name. “He’s dead.” I whisper, feeling my stomach sinking farther and farther.