Chapter 1

My eyes fly open, and I wake up screaming, my hands dig into the sand beside me, my heart beating a million miles per hour - faster than light speed. It's illegal to have any contact with anyone inside the dome - and I just had a vision. That lady was my stepmother, and I know is that I am not going to get away with it.

My throat stings from yelling in my concussion. It is like a chainsaw has been shoved into my gullet. Sleep still lingers within the sides of my eyes like hard salt, I wipe it out with the sides of my fingers, then make my eyes adjust to my surroundings; squinting out the bright sun as if it is fire. I manage to push myself up onto my feet. I feel like limbs haven't moved for centuries, but I wipe off the sand stuck to my neck and hands. I struggle to keep my balance, the dizziness is getting to me. I teeter a few steps forward, before collapsing back onto my knees.

I look around, scanning my surroundings - I am in, what looks like, the Colosseum... the walls made of thick limestone, people screaming over each other some words from a different language, it was Roman. They wore long white robes and leather sandals. This was where the people fought a beast to stay alive.

Everything moves like jello until I hear a piercing metal screeching sound. I jump around, then tilt my head to the sound, and spot a huge gate buried in the walls of the arena - that was obviously where the sound was coming from.

Another loud screech makes me cover my ears with my hands. A pair of glowing red eyes, no pupils, just full on creepy blood red eyes, staring right into my soul.

A shiver goes down my spine as I try to look for an escape, I spot a door about 20 meters away.

"Hello there people of Jeseronia! My name is Humus, today - our contender will be fighting a Verlioni! The most ferocious beast to live. The sight of this beast shall make its victim tremble before it!" the loud voice echoing against the walls, everyone stands up then screams in agreement and excitement. Humus' helmet flashes in my eyes, making me look away, damn, that's one hell of a shiny helmet you got there bro... I frown disappointed - I am fighting a brand of pasta? The guy looks like a Roman Soldier. He is wearing a bronze helmet, with a red fin of hair on top - making him a leader. His matching bronze armour is brand spanking new, with a magenta cloak draped over his shoulder. Humus pulls up a sheet from the table in front of him and begins reading it out "Today, we have a girl named 'Poppy'-", he furrowed his eyebrows and squints at the page. He taps his microphone to get everyone's attention, "Ay! We have a cast out..." everyone goes quiet and stares at me. What are they looking at?! "So what I'm named after a flower! Dude, you're named after dirt!!!" I yell at the judge - a smirk sliding across my cheek. The crowd lets out a big 'oooOOOOHHH'.

Humus clenches his jaw; probably thinking of a good come back. He shakes his head, "it's a real shame that another shifter has to go to waste... and I'll let you know I'm named after a famous dip!". I need to get the crowd on my side, just in case I could an advantage somehow.

I start to worry, I am not going to be fighting him... I will be fighting a Verlioni. "Now... let's see what this young woman can do-" he is cut off by the painful shrieking of the beast, "-OPEN THE GATES" his hand waves in the air gesturing to the gate - a wide torturing smile spreads across his face, like that Hummus Dip.

I swivel around to face the gate. I hear gears creaking as the big wooden doors swing open. I see those piercing blood red eyes from the darkness of the cage. Yup, straight away I know I am dead meat... my heart starts to pound a million miles per hour - my heartbeat could race a Lamborghini.

The monster pounces out of the cage, with its long tail rattling as it swings side to side. I take a small step back in terror... goosebumps filling my arms and legs, like someone tipped a bucket of water over my head. Slowly, it makes its way closer - every step leaving a big paw imprint in the sand. "Easy big fella..." the words slip out of my mouth, "I don't wanna hurt you-" as I finish my sentence it snarls and begins to circle me, sizing me up - probably wondering if I would be a tasty snack or not, because I am pretty scrawny, to be honest. The blood in my veins turn to sugar and I snap into reality, this thing could eat me alive... no, it will eat me alive! I try my best not to picture that.