The Hard Life of an Army Wife

Chapter One:

Emily Gray looked down at the small test in her hand, waiting for the results that could quite possibly change her life. Emily had not let the likelihood of being pregnant get to her. No, don’t think that she did not want a baby; it was just that she did not want to get her hopes up before she knew it was real. And the fact that her husband John Gray was serving in the army overseas as of a month ago, also made her nervous, she wanted to share this experience with him. So as much as she and John wanted a baby, and even though they had been trying to have one for almost a year, she still was shaking with nerves. Emily looked at her watch as she counted down the seconds for the test being complete;

5…

4…

3…

2…

1…

It was ready. Emily closed her eyes and took a deep breath before looking down at the test; she looked at it for a while before the results. Positive. The test was positive. She was pregnant. Emily had trouble processing the information but, once she had she was over the moon with happiness and excitement; they were going to have a baby and she couldn’t wait to tell John. It suddenly hit her she would not be able to skype her husband till next week and she couldn’t wait that long to tell him. She decided to write him a letter.

To my dear husband,

John,

I know it has only been a month since you left but it feels so much longer. The time apart has reminded me of how much I love you and want to spend the rest of my life with you. John, I have some great news to tell you. You know how we have been trying to have a baby for so long? How we wanted to have a family together? Well I have to tell you that it’s going to happen! We’re going to have a baby! No I’m not joking we’re going to have a baby. I miss you so much, and I wish you were here to celebrate and go through this important time with me. I know that your family will be happy for us when I tell them at Sunday lunch today, but I won’t be the same as having you here with me. I love and I miss you  soo much.

Love you always

Emily xx

By the time she finished writing the letter tears were running down her face from the happiness and excitement of having a baby, also from her love for her husband and from missing him so much. As she sealed the letter and wrote the address with a shaky hand, Emily was able to control her tears for the time being, even though she knew she would be crying again at the lunch with her and John’s family.  Emily looked at the time and saw it was already 11.00am, so she went into her bedroom to get dressed before she met up with her family.

 Once she was ready to go, Emily grabbed her bag and her letter before locking the door and going out to her car, driving to the post-box was a blur, when Emily arrived at the post box the she kissed letter before posting it. Emily continued to drive to her parent’s house where everyone was waiting for her. Emily pulled up at the house just as her brother Anthony Jackson, his wife Sarah and children Jennifer, two and Eric, six months got out of their car. They walked over and meet her at the door.

“Hey Emily,” Anthony greeted her with a hug.

“Hi Em,” said Sarah also giving her a hug.

“Aunty Em! Aunty Em!” Jennifer shouted hugging her legs.

Emily bent down to pick up her niece and giving her a hug. “Morning, let’s go inside I have news for everyone.”

They walked into the house continuing into the kitchen where she saw; her mum Vanessa, her dad Steve and her baby sister Amy as well as John’s parents Christian and Michael with John’s twin brother Vincent.