Chapter 1

"Cassidy! Wake up or you'll be late for your first day of sophomore year!" Sean grabbed my legs and started to pull me off the bed. I fell onto the ground, along with my blankets with a thud.

"But I don't wanna, Sean! That place is hell!" I whined to my brother.

"Hard to believe that you'll be 16 in half a month. You sound like a spoiled 5 year old." Spencer snickered. I kicked the back of his knees so his legs have out underneath him. I laughed and got off the floor and he just glared at me.

"Now get out, bro or you'll see me in my birthday suit." I said and he bolted out of my room.

I had my carefully thought out outfit laid out on the chest at the end of my bed. I had a California tank top because that was the place I've always wanted to go, with a blue bandeau bra underneath. The jean shorts and blue converse were to just to match. I went to the bathroom to put in my contacts, straighten my long brown hair, and put light makeup on my boring brown eyes. I did my nails as the beach because I didn't want summer to end. I grabbed my dance company bag for anything that was needed at school. Lastly, I had my phone with the baseball case and infinity bracelet for my parents.

My parents. God I missed them. They died in an airplane crash when I was 5 and Sean was 13. They were CEO's for a business and were always traveling around the world. We had a nanny that took care of us when they were away until Sean was 18 and took custody of me. We lived in a small house and had some money saved since they were pretty highly paid, but only used what we needed. My mom had bought me an infinity bracelet for my 16th birthday, even though I was really young when she bought it. When we heard about the accident, Sean gave me the bracelet to remember her. As for my dad, he loved baseball. There was specifically one field, the Owls Field, that he was involved with. Apparently, he played on the team and coached before I was born. I don't remember a lot since I was really young, but I remember always being at that field. Sean played throughout his high school career. The people down there became my family and helped Sean and I through the death of our parents. I still go down to the field almost everyday in the summer and help out with whatever they need.

Now for Sean. Sean is my only sibling and my best friend. He and I have become so close because of not having parents. He takes care of me like a mom, protects me like a dad, and jokes around with me like a brother. He is 23 and just got out of college. He was offered a full time job at Lakewood Elementary School as a Kindergarten teacher. He's just a big softy, but he looks scary from his muscular build from working out. Since he works at Lakewood Elementary and I go to Lakewood High School, we have the same schedules, which is nice.

I jog down the stairs and into the kitchen to see Sean eating a bowl of Lucky Charms.

"And you say I'm immature," I laugh at him for his cereal choice. He just locks eyes with me, takes a big spoonful of cereal, chews it, and then opens his mouth to show me the gross mashed food. I just roll my eyes and walk to the cabinet to get a bowl and a spoon. I get the Cinnamon Toast Crunch and milk and sit across from my brother to eat my breakfast.

"Are you almost ready? We need to get going so I can drop you off and get to work," my brother asks.

"Yeah, lemme just brush my teeth," I reply. I wash out my bowl and run upstairs to my bathroom. I brush my teeth and then meet Sean in his Prius. I text Cameron and Mackenzie that I'll be at the school in 5 and to meet me at the entrance.

Cameron and Mackenzie were my two best friends in the entire world. Cameron Owens, I like to call him Cam Cam, is my next door neighbor. He has short hair and green eyes. His family has been there ever since Sean and I have been. He and I would play everyday, whether it be wiffle ball, playing video games, or just hanging out with each other. Mackenzie Henderson, or Kenzie, moved in across the street from me just at the end of Freshman year. We clicked right when we met and have been best friends ever since, along with Cam. She is gorgeous and will probably have every guy in Lakewood drooling over her with her long, curly brown hair and sparkling green eyes.

Before I met Kenzie, I was a four-eyed brace face nerd who got straight A's. I was bullied for being the typical nerd by the school jock, Spencer Conrad. He would push me down in the hallways, make me drop my books, close my locker, and much more. This has been going on for 5 years now. A little after Kenz moved in, Cameron and her made a pact to de-nerdify me. So the day after I got my braces off, Cam and Kenzie took me hostage from my house and we spent the day at the mall getting a whole new wardrobe, contacts, makeup, and anything else that they thought of. Now, instead of being a complete nerd, I am an average girl who still gets straight A's.

I zoned out for the 10 minute drive to the high school so Sean had to nudge me when we pulled up. I gave him a hug, grabbed my bag from the backseat, and got out of his car. I walked about 5 steps when I got smashed into a hug sandwich with Kenzie behind me and Cam in front. They were saying things like 'Cassie!' and 'we missed you!'.

"Guys.....can't...bre.....athe..." I muttered. They immediately pulled back and beamed their winning smiles at me.

"We saw each other yesterday, you know that right? Cause we're neighbors and all?" I question them.

"Yeah but friend sandwiches are fun," Cam laughs. I just roll my eyes and we walk into the school together. As soon as we step foot into the lobby, I turn to my left and see him. Spencer and his posy. He had his left hand intwined with Skye Maynard, the captain of the cheer leading squad, and on his right was his wingman, Cody Warner. There were some of his baseball friends strolling behind him to make a big group. Cody nudged Spencer to look at me.

"Oh god guys what do I do?" I turn around to look at my friends.

"You have to stand up to him. Don't let him get to you. You look hot with your new look so use that confidence." Kenzie told me. Cameron just nodded along with what she said. I took a deep breath and turned around just as Spencer and his crew walked up to me.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't Cass the smart ass." Spencer sneered at me as his friends laughed. I just stood my ground and looked at him with a bored look.

"What happened to the glasses and braces, nerd?" Spencer said.

"I thought it was time for a change. Looks like you don't have anything to insult me about now." I reply cooly.

"Yeah well I can still do this." He goes to shove me, but I just side step him.

"Now that's not very nice, is it? I gotta get to class now, so how bout you work on your comebacks for next time, yeah?" I say with a sickly sweet smile on my face and walk away with my friends following behind me, snickering at what I just did. Once we were out of his sight, I let out a big sigh.

"Look at you Miss Sass!" Cam high fives me.

"My work here is done." Kenzie says as she pretends to wipe her hands. I just laugh at both of them.

"What class do you have first?" I ask both of them. We all pull out our schedules and look what classes we have together. I have 1st, 3rd, and 7th period with Kenzie and 2nd, 6th, and 8th with Cam. We all have lunch 5th period, so we can all meet up and talk.

We hear the warning bell go off, so Kenz and I say goodbye to Cam and head to English.

*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*

Welp that was the first chapter. I hope you guys enjoyed it! I don't know when I'll post the next chapter, but YAY!

~remember_to_smile7