~Chapter 5~

Jason's POV:

Brandon looks at me, clearly confused. I shrug to show him I have no idea why she is crying at the mention of school. Then it hits me. While we were getting to know each other at the hospital, she had said that people didn't like her at school. Maybe that's the reason to her little breakdown. She is scared that people won't like her here either.

I sit on her right as Brandon sits on the opposite side of her on the bed. I rub circled into her back before wiping my shirtsleeves under her eyes (A/N: Ed Sheeran reference, lol ^^) to wipe her tears.

She opens her mouth to speak but closes in again.

"It will be okay. The people here are understanding and I can guarantee that you will have friends in know time!" I speak, patting her back as I do.

She looks up at me and even though hr eyes are red and puffy and look slightly swollen, she is still very pretty.

"You think so? I mean, everyone always hated the girl with cancer.. The girl, who... Di-didn't have a father.." She said between sniffles. "The girl who was never loved.. Or even liked by anybody. Not even- even her own dad."

I leaned in to hug her. "Brandon, penny and I like you. Don't we count?"

After a long time of her staring at the door of her bedroom, she finally replied.

"That's only because you don't know me well enough. You pity the young girl with cancer. Feel the need to protect her. It's only a matter of time before you give up on me, like all the other so called 'friends' I've ever had."

I cup her face, making her look into my eyes. "I will never give up on you, I promise!"