The Reaping

Running. That is all I know I'm doing. I feel apprehensive about this kind of situation. I come across three, four, five tributes. They close in on me all at once. I know the end is coming when everything changes.

     I'm in a dark room and forget where I am. I'm not in the hunger games. I'm in the same bedroom I fell asleep in last night. Nothing has changed except for the covers being thrown off my bed from my dream.

     I've never had dreams about the hunger games before reaping day, especially. Maybe it means something. Good or bad whatever it is, it's not that important.

     If I get reaped, and go to the hunger games, I think I'd survive okay. I'd just have to learn how to hunt and how to use a weapon.

     Once one o'clock rolls around, I wash and dress for the reaping. By the time my mother is straightening my tie, it's one thirty and we start for the square. When we get there, it is one forty two and we find a place to stand.

     Everything is going according to plan, but somethings not right. My younger sister's best friend was reaped. My brain slowly begins to recognize her, as the escort for district 2 is drawing the name for the boys. I'm caught off guard when she says the name... my name.