*1* A Phonecall

Aurora's POV

I woke up to the violent sound of ringing. At first, I didn't even recognize the sound; it had been so long since someone had called me. The annoying pattern of rings was enough to drive anyone mad; but at this point it was music to my ears.
In all seriousness, it was probably just a cold call. But even if it was, I could still mess around with whoever was on the other end of the line. On that note, I shuffled over to the phone that was perched next to the sofa I had previously been snuggled up on.

I picked up the phone and held it to my ear, silently praying that this was anybody but an employee at a call centre.

"Hello, this is Aurora Steele, how can I help you?" I asked tensely.

I held my breath in anticipation, I had no idea who would possibly be calling me if it wasn't a call centre. I was pretty sure that I hadn't given anyone my number and didn't know how somebody would have been able to get it.

"Aurora! I'm so glad I got the right number! This is Owen, Owen Grady."

My breath hitched in my throat as a grin spread widely across my face. It had been, what? Two, maybe even three years since I had seen my old coworker? And though I hadn't ever really spared him much thought, I now realised how much I had missed him . And his stupid jokes. And his company altogether really. I had spent so much time isolated that I hadn't seen anyone recently. Hearing my old friend's voice was like music to my ears and it sent an unfamiliar, but much appreciated warmth through my body.

"Owen?! I haven't seen you for years! What's going on, is everything alright?"

I heard a hearty chuckle coming from the other end of the line and I couldn't help but smile more. I could remember the last time I heard his laugh; it was just after Jurassic World had been obliterated by the company's crazy science experiment. We had gotten his girlfriend's nephews back to their family and we were all sitting together talking and joking around.

It was one of the last times I had spent with friends before exiling myself to avoid the tabloids.

"Yeah well, you didn't exactly make yourself easy to contact, you have no idea how hard it was to get your number. Anyway, I'm calling because I'm about to make a pretty dumb decision and if there's one person I know that handles my mistakes well, it's you. I'll text you the address, all I need is for you to say yes, no questions asked."

I was intrigued.
It was true, I loved being a part of Owen's silly ideas (that would always end up in a scolding from Claire). But how big of an idiot was he being NOW that he was going through all the trouble to contact me. And after all this time too.

My thoughts wandered off to ideas of the old park and the dinosaurs, after all, there was no way he'd need me for anything else.

"You're right. I've spent enough time in self-induced exile, I'll come with you, no questions asked, just like old times. But if you get me killed, bury me somewhere expensive."

I heard another chuckle from down the phone line.

"Trust me, if you die I'll probably already be dead. Thank you so much, I don't think we'd be able to pull this off without your expertise, I'll text you the address and I'll see you soon."

"Bye Owen, I'll catch you later."

I hung up the phone and sat down, I was buzzing with adrenaline and my heart was pumping fast. As much as I appreciated my alone time, I had forgotten how much I loved my old job and what it meant to me. Besides, I had built so much with the animals in that park and I wasn't sure if I was ready to throw all of that away.

As soon as I received Owen's text I raced upstairs to pack a small rucksack. I only tossed in a change of clothes and a ton of granola bars, if we were doing what I suspected then I would need as much energy as possible. Thank god I never gave up on exercising.

As soon as I was sure I had what I needed for a couple of days travelling, I jumped in my old, beaten up car and was surprised to find it still had some gas. I set off for a five hour journey to the city we were supposed to meet up at, there I could get some rest and then try and find the plane we were supposed to be leaving on.

I was one hundred percent in for a suicide mission; I was pretty sure I was going to help save the dinosaurs.