Part Seven

TW: Mention of death and loss, and stalkery creepiness.

***

As the plane reached the cruising altitude, Kaia felt herself relax for the first time all day.

She met the eyes of Jackson Kenner, her new personal bodyguard, across the aisle of the plane. He nodded in response, which helped to ease her fears.

Despite her initial desire to stay inside her apartment forever, Elijah convinced her to behave as if nothing was wrong. He did not want anyone aside from Vincent and his security team to know about the footage and subsequent threat.

The Vamps were playing the Quebec Snow Leopards the following evening, where the team would be kicking off a series of four away games across Canada before returning to New Orleans.

She closed her eyes and tried to rest, but her brain kept dragging her back to the problem at hand. Someone had been watching and recording her locker room rendezvous with Elijah. His security team had pulled every scrap of footage from cameras around the arena the night of the Gala, but there was nothing at all out of the ordinary.

Vincent had destroyed the footage from inside the locker room the night before at Elijah's request, but the door was never accessed by someone other than her, Vincent, or Elijah that night. Whomever had been watching them had snuck in and out the door right behind them, and that thought made her sick to her stomach.

She rummaged around her purse and found a sleep tablet, swallowing it quickly and drifting off for the rest of the plane ride.

When she awoke, the team was grabbing their luggage from the compartments overhead.
She gasped when someone slid into the empty seat beside her, but was relieved to see it was just Elena, her face scrunched in concern.

"Hey, girl. You doing okay? You seem a little jumpy today."

"Oh. Yeah, just not a fan of flying," Kaia said softly, collecting her things from her chair.

"Oh. Well.. listen. Since we're going to be sharing a room, there's something you should probably know. Is it okay if we set aside some time to talk later?" Elena looked at her friend hopefully.

Kaia already knew about Elena and Stefan, but she pretended she didn't, and figured it would be a good time to tell her about her relationship with Elijah, too. She trusted Elena, something she didn't do easily.

Kaia agreed to talk later and Elena looked relieved, dropping back to hang out with the rest of the medical team until they got to the hotel.

She said hi to a few of the players, catching up to walk with Kol and chatting about his progress.

Elijah caught her eye as she walked, gesturing for her to come and join him as he spoke to someone on the phone. She just wanted to rush over into his arms but she knew she had to control those urges.

He looked so handsome, dressed a little more casually than usual in what she assumed was his traveling attire. While everyone else was dressed for comfort in hoodies and sweatpants, Elijah was wearing khaki pants and a light blue button down underneath a navy wool coat. His scruff had grown out a little bit more than she was used to, giving off a sexy, bad boy vibe that was really working for him.

He pulled her off to the side with a stern expression, giving anyone who may be watching them the impression that she was being reprimanded for something.

"I need to see you later tonight. Can you sneak away from Dr. Gilbert?" He kept his voice low and gravelly, and she felt herself shiver.

"Yes, sir. I believe I can arrange something."