Past

I laughed as my grandfather lifted me up. My mother watched us with bated breath. My grandfather wasn't a young man anymore. He needed to watch himself. My grandmother walked over to us smiling.

Earlier I was helping her make cannolis for dessert. She found it funny when I told her stories of my friends. I was a very rambunctious child. I couldn't sit still for the life of me. My grandfather set me back on my feet.

He caught me off guard as he began to tickle me. I was a giggling mess on the ground. This was one of the memories that I will forever cherish. Another being when my grandfather first met me. 

To many happy memories soon began to turn sour. I ran from the room. My heart ached worse than when my mom passed. I pushed people out of my way. Before I even knew it, I was packing my things.

I made my way to the airport. Anger, sadness, and hate filled me as I took the next plane back to my father. The plane ride back didn't help ease any pain. It fuelled me even more. Everything was a blur.

I didn't wake from the blur until I was shot. The pain pulled me from the blur. Blood poured from my left wrist. Who would've ever guessed that I went in guns blazing?

My father put his foot on my chest. "What the fuck do you think you're doing?"

"What the fuck does it look like I'm doing? Obviously it isn't a how are you doing, now is it?" He moved away from me. "Did you seriously expect me to sit back any do nothing to avenge my grandfather? He died because of you! Now it's your turn!"

I sat up. Pain shooting throughout my entire body was a clear indicator that I wasn't only shot in the wrist. I checked my right thigh. This reminded me of a time when I was younger.

It was in the middle of winter. The trees were covered in snow. The roads were slick with black ice. My grandma couldn't stop laughing as I tried to climb the big tree in the back yard. I was determined to climb the tree.

Grandpa couldn't help but worry. He told me of a time when he broke his leg doing what I was trying to do. I didn't take his story as seriously as I should've. Once I achieved my goal I couldn't think of a way back down.

It all ended with me breaking my right leg. Grandpa rushed over. He was filled to the brim with fear. Not only was my leg broken but it was torn open. A large piece of my bone was poking through the skin above my knee.

I was in too much shock to feel the pain. For me it hurted the most when the doctor had to set my leg back into place. Being shot brings back so many memories.

"Keep this up and I'll have to end this." I crawled backwards to the wall. "Now will you calmly explain why you tried to kill me?"

"Why don't you ask yourself that fucking question?" Dad put his gun away. The guards also put their guns away. "He was a innocent man! I can't believe that you would kill him!"

"I didn't do anything to your grandfather. If that is all you had to say then leave. Nobody has time for this nonsense that you keep spitting out."

He sat down as the guards pulled me out. "This is not the last time you'll see me!" I couldn't fight seeing how bad my injuries are. Somehow I'll get to the bottom of this. Nothing can stop me from finding out the truth.

Everybody be damned if I don't get justice for my grandfather. The guards knocked me out. I woke the moment my head hit the pillow. Vince pulled me back up. "Spill it now."

"No, I don't want to."

"Fine. Don't tell me. I'll be in the living room with your grandmother." For the remaining of the night, I stayed locked in my room going through the past.