eight - actually getting coffee

Harry

      She was quiet.

      I sat across from her, my hands on the table holding my cup of black coffee as I leaned forward; only she didn’t seem to like it very much. She sat back in her seat, her hands folded in her lap as she would occasionally sip on her light, iced coffee.

      I noticed the dried up tear stains smeared across her cheeks as she exited the bathroom earlier, but I didn’t comment on it.

      If only she would just tell me why.

      “Why are you staring at me?” Her hostility startled me, and I didn’t even realize I was staring until she pointed it out.

      And, for once I didn’t know what to say, because I’m always torn between complimenting her and telling her how I really feel or just giving her what she wants. And I’m sick of it. I want to just say something and not regret it.

      “You want to know something, Echo?”

      She looked up from her coffee, staring at me with those hazel eyes... and I swear my anger nearly subsided completely, but I couldn’t just do nothing.

      “I’m staring at you, Echo. I’m staring at the girl I’ve fallen for, and she believes that I’m in the wrong for falling in love with her; but I can’t deny that I am. She’s sitting in front of me -- you’re sitting in front of me -- and you look beautiful even when you’re not dressed like a supermodel and when you’ve just finished crying, even though you thought I didn’t notice. Echo I -- ”

      “Harry, stop it!” She shouted at me, standing up from her seat in the booth. A couple of people began to stare and I hunched over in my seat, trying not to be recognized; but that didn’t seem to stop Echo.

      “I can’t do this anymore. I can’t deal with the stress and the sadness and the hurt that’s going to come, just please, go and move on with your life and just leave me alone.”

      She didn’t even wait for me to say anything as she stormed out of the store, leaving her iced coffee on the table. She probably thought I didn’t notice the tears that began streaming down her face as she walked away, but I did.

      And it broke my heart to see her cry.