CHAPTER TWO

word count, 3337
CHAPTER TWO: THE PROPOSAL

SINCE THAT DAY in July, they had been inseparable ever since

SINCE THAT DAY in July, they had been inseparable ever since. He always seemed to grasp the excuse of visiting her house, a house Florence shared with her sister, Julie, a humorous woman who would scold the two of them for infecting the house with happiness.

She would often kick them out of the house because of their relentless affection towards one another- but they always find something new to do. They would go swimming, to the cinema, dancing (even though Florence repeatedly told James that she had two left feet). But sometimes they would just find a curb and sit upon it, listening to the mindless words shared between them and honing in on the warmth lathering their skin, fingers tangled together.

They were content, happier than they had been for a long while.

They never labelled what they had, but it wasn't like it mattered. They never really questioned what the light feeling gracing their hearts was, or why a simple glance or connection of skin caused butterflies to inundate their stomach. They simply assumed that the other person knew what these symptoms meant for them- with help from the stolen kisses and the occasional bed-sharing.

It didn't really matter when the truth escaped when he declared his love for her while they stumbled around the dance floor. She didn't hesitate to say those same words back.

The two of them were laid on her firm mattress- their plans for venturing out ruined by her sickness that had been affecting her but a few days. Her face seemed slightly paler- but she seemed to be more vibrant, more vivid than she had been for a long while.

James' arms encased her as his head leant against hers, the two sharing a bliss silence as she suppressed the sickness threatening her throat. Thoughts fluttered amongst her mind at rapid rates, her hand rested timidly on her stomach as she began to file through them. She had her suspicions- but she always seemed to dismiss them, she was too young, they had been doing it for months safely, it was just a sickness bug- but she began to struggle to convince herself.

She was certain that she was pregnant, but she wasn't certain on how she felt about it.

It had only been a matter of months since the two of them had met, let alone the fact that she only had a small job, sharing a cramped house with her older sister. A heavy guilt began to plague her- overthrowing the sick feeling clawing at her throat.

How could she raise a child?

Her mind slowed back to the moment, his arms wrapped around hers and his gentle touch grounding her. She felt tears burn in her eyes as the bittersweet moment was soon to be ruined- expecting the disgust and neglect, the heartbreak to follow. She wanted to disregard her suspicions and fears- she longed for another chance to be with someone like James Conrad.

Yet there they were- the unlabelled duo with not a scrap of silver or gold in their pocket, laid upon a cramped bed in a cramped room both with secrets that would burden the other.