until she comes back prologue

Chapter 1

Two legs appeared in front of me. I looked up and saw that it was the principal assistant. I took my earphones off and stood up, waiting for her to speak. No words were said, just her disapproving face one more time.

"What?" I asked.

"The principal is ready for you," she said in a stern voice.

I went inside of the principal office just to get a "warm" welcome.

"Daniel Peterson, how are you?" Ms. Leyer asked. Fine, I thought.

"Wonderful! It's so nice to see you," I said in a sarcastic voice. How many times have I been in here? I think today is the twenty-third time. I'm getting tired of this.

"Where did you go to at 1:30 yesterday after lunch?" she cut off the sweet appearance.

I went to get some food ready for my little sister Annabel. She came out at one, but I couldn't get there until one forty- five. I needed to give her food, because she still didn't know how to cook. Thank god she at least has the keys to the house, or I would have to get there earlier. I couldn't tell the principal that.

"Nowhere," I responded with a smirk. Better have her think that I was doing something bad or she would keep insisting.

"You used to be such a good kid always getting top grades, what happened to you?"

"Nothing, can I leave now?" I checked my watch. Annabel is already home.

"Not until you tell me what's happening," lines of fake concern appeared in her forehead, "your parents won't be happy to hear from me, and that's what's going to happen if you don't answer me."

That's the problem. I don't have parents. Well, I mean right now with me. My father died when Annabel was 4, and my mother vanished out of nowhere two years ago leaving me alone with Annabel.

"No, my parents wouldn't like it. I will come to school and not leave. Is that all you wanted?"

"Yes, that's what wanted," she smiled, "you are excused now Daniel."

I rushed out of school as fast as I could. I got on my car and hoped Annabel had gotten something to eat.