Prologue~~Titos

Prologue

The child, prohibitively conceived in Aella’s womb, was born into a life of isolated hell and misery. For a crime so vulgar, so forbidden, the woman’s pride radiated from her features upon the newborn. Eyes which shone of emerald green, like the fresh earth brought to renewal after a summer’s rain. The thick ebony swirls upon the head of the babe; lay upon a sheet of cadaverous skin. The horror matched the beauty. And Titos looked nothing like his mother.

Fatigued and crippled by imprisonment, Aella was assisted into the grand hall, cradling the small babe in fragile arms, and the main entrance into Hephaestus’ Palace. The adulterer was portrayed before the court of Kourai Khryseai, or as referred to by common Earth, the Golden Maidens. These solid gold statues were brought to life by the work of Hephaestus’ talent, and given the ability of speech, as well as rightful judgement. Names tediously crafted by their creator, each were given Eros, Erato, Enyo, and Elysia. The woman was pushed forward upon the statues, which were still until silence broke, and Enyo, statue of war, stepped toward the golden podium.

“The felony committed by this common Grecian is punishable by death,” the glowing figure spoke harshly upon Aella “the abomination born upon Olympia, which is now resting against this woman’s chest, was never Zeus’s burden to bear.”

Eos, statue of Dawn and renewal, contradicted “You must council with thy sisters contributing to this decision, Enyo.”

“The apple never decays far from thy tree, Eos.”

“The origin is not the predicament here,” Elysia, statue of lightening and storms, interrupted “the young one must be destroyed before much worse damage is caused in our future.”

Erato, statue of poetry, stepped in “Imagine the disgrace, Enyo. Imagine our people, our master, everything we were created for, angered with our betrayal of justice on this prisoner’s crime.”

“It must be settled then,” Enyo replied, gesturing sharply to the weak figure below, and then up towards the large, golden gates “bring forth the Dídyma.”

Two petite identical twins, male and female, no older than ten, glided into the main court, and bowed before the statues. The youths’ skin gave off an iridescent glow, and their personality gave off an essence of mystery. The children ignored the angry glares from Aella, and continued listening to the figured Enyo.

“Lovely Dareia and Dareois. Foretell the future for this slave and her young babe.”

The children unravelled a large indigo scroll marked with many dates and small Greek inscriptions. And small voices spoke aloud, echoing off the marbled walls.

“Aella Chrysanthe Daphne Bethesda gave birth approximately forty-two hours ago. It has been named Titos.”

“There is no permission given for a title. Sex?”

“A son,” the twins continued “He will eventually surpass the powers of Hephaestus. And the powers of you.”

The four maidens looked at each other in awe and fear. They turned to discuss with one another only to return to face the children, woman, and her fragile newborn.

“Due to the extreme accounts of adultery, which by law is an extreme offense towards you and the rest of our people, you, Adella Chrysanthe Daphne Bethesda, have been sentenced to death. Termination also follows for the babe. Have you nothing to say following your sentence?”

Aella surveyed her surroundings, and then raised her bruised head.

“Titos was conceived by the God’s doing only. This is a sign that his life is more valuable than anyone upon Earth. Have pity on this miracle and I shall be grateful as his rightful mother.”

“As you wish.” Enyo smirked lazily

Screams and pleas of mercy erupted from the frail woman whom held her child secure from the guards. As her grasp loosened, and the youngster began to wail, Aella was carried off, away from the statues, away from the prophecy Dídyma, and hung in a private cell. The court of Golden Maidens was assured the young abomination had been destroyed. Yet the children refused to explain;

Titos will prevail.