Part 2 - Addison

Out of the haze in my brain, I can hear voices. "It's a life threatening airway obstruction from the fractures in her larynx and trachea! Get her into the OR! Now!" The pain is too much and my lungs are burning to the point that the voices seem to get further and further away as my consciousness fades again.

XxX

"Things seem fine with her, but we just have to wait and see if she wakes up. We'll keep close watch on her for any changes." A woman says.

"What are her odds?" That's my mom.

"It's all up to her now. There's a 50/50 shot from here out unless her vitals shift for the worse. She seems to be recovering well though. I have high hopes for her." The woman assures. Their voices grow distant as they continue their discussion.

XxX

"Doctor! Her brainwaves are spiking!" A young woman exclaims excitedly.

"That's a good sign! Maybe this wakeness will evolve into awareness soon! We can only keep observing her. You can wake up when you're ready, Addison." I vaguely feel a hand on my arm as I'm plummeted back into darkness.

XxX

Beep... Beep... Beep...

'What is that annoying beeping? God, I just want to sleep.' My whole body hurts. Especially my throat. 'Why are my eyes so heavy?' I concentrate on my eye lids and force them to open. I feel like the lights in the room are blinding so I squeeze my eyes shut. I try again when I hear a soft gasp in the room. My eyes are still blurry as they readjust to the florescent lighting.

"Addison?" A young woman asks sweetly. "Blink if you can hear me." She instructed. I realize that I have something in my mouth that's running down my throat and a brace to keep me from moving. I blink for her. I lazily look over and see she's wearing scrubs. A nurse? "Welcome back! I'll get the doctor." She smiles and reaches for the phone.

"Doctor Croft, Addison is awake! No, not wakeness, awareness! Yes! Ok, thank you Doctor." She hangs up and turns back to me.

"Ok Sweetie. Try to relax. The doctor is on his way." She tells me. I'm still so tired. And why am I in the hospital? I want Zed. My eyes start to water. This is so overwhelming. Why am I in so much pain? My watery eyes turn to teary eyes till I'm full on weeping.

"It's ok! You're fine Addison! I'll make sure I call your family to get here right away! Try to calm down ok?" The nurse comforted, petting my hair gently.

Not 5 minutes later the doctor comes in, followed by a swarm of people who start touching and poking and messing with me.

"Hello Addison! It's nice to see you awake! Let's get that tube out of your mouth and we will talk ok?" He sounds fairly cheerful and friendly.

XxX

The doctor took the tubes out and the first nurse from when I woke up was helping me drink some water. "Ok! Now, we're gonna take the brace off your neck. Try not to move around to quickly. Your muscles are going to feel a little weak." The doctor informed me.

"Ok." I reply, my voice is very rough and weak. I try clearing my throat but it still hurts from where the tube was removed.

"You don't need to speak much." He assured me, unfastening the brace. Once it's off, I can see what be meant. My head feels heavy, weighing on my neck. And stiff like I haven't moved in days. I just rest my head against the pillow and carefully stretch my shoulders up and down to test the movement. It's sore.

"Since that's all taken care of, how are you feeling? Are you in any pain?" The doctor asks.

"Sore." I rasp out. "My throat hurts." The doctor smiles gently.