Developing the Hero

I present you Harry Potter and Percy Jackson.

At first glance, they seem to be two different characters. Yes, they may look slightly alike; both J. K. Rowling and Rick Riordan chose to give them black hair and green eyes, two traits that not many people possess simultaneously. Already, we recognize them as unique persons, worthy of our attention. And then there is that revelation that they both receive at age eleven, Harry's being that he is a wizard, and Percy’s being that he is a demigod. But really, is there any quality they have in common?

My answer is, yes, indeed they do. In fact, the traits that they embody are so fundamental that we may just as simply label them as the hero's character. This is so pivotal in story writing that I have decided put this essay before all of the others. Here, I will discuss what it is that makes a protagonist substantial, both to us as an audience, and to the characters present in the book as well. While there are many different sorts of heroes, some shifty and reluctant creatures which just as easily betray, (such as Tolkien’s Gollum), and some agonized yet innately dedicated, (just like Rowling's Severus Snape), the most lovable characters are the ones who rely on their hearts.

Firstly, the most important aspect of presenting one's hero is developing a caring nature. Harry Potter's love, both for his friends and family, not only defines him, but allows him to ultimately defeat his bitter enemies. This is arguably his best quality. It calms him when he has to face the inevitable, such as struggle in a losing war or sacrifice himself to save others. We appreciate his compassion, and as a result we are more entangled in his quest to stop evil than we could have imagined. We want for him to succeed, because we love him for loving others. Similarly, Percy Jackson has great regard for his fellow Camp Half-Blood allies, and would willingly inhibit his own life to aid them. The close relationship with his mother is particularly compelling. This gives him as much strength as any affinity for water could grant him, and not only makes the plot meaningful, but also engages us in all his wild endeavors to save the world. This enables us to develop a raw fixation with him, since we naturally appreciate the concern he has for others. In other words, in order for a hero to be believable, he or she must be compassionate.

Having a deep devotion for friends is only one piece of the complexity of heroes. They must also be willing to persevere, eager to rise beyond their own expectations for themselves. Both Harry and Percy have a troubled childhood (Harry definitely more so). They enter into their new worlds unsure and rather frightened. Harry does not want to be sorted into Slytherin, he vehemently opposes making a fool of himself at Hogwarts, and he surely does not want Voldemort to return to power. Likewise, Percy desperately hopes to be claimed by his godly parent, and anticipates recovering his kidnapped mother and safely returning the stolen lightning bolt to Zeus. Both protagonists accomplish these desires, and go on to do much more, forgetting their past fears. For a hero to be worthy of their position in a book, not only must they possess reserves of determination in order to combat initial adversities, but they should also grow in character, which brings us to our next point.

It is ideal for main characters to mature before us, sometimes physically, as Frank Zhang did from Riordan's The Heroes of Olympus, but most importantly, mentally. There are many examples for such a metamorphosis, the grandest being of Neville Longbottom. Initially, he was a clumsy student, tormented both by Professor Snape and his grandmother's expectations of him. Despite being opposed by the scorns of Draco Malfoy, and perhaps by the opinions of his own fellow classmates, he becomes a formidable warrior in the final fight against Lord Voldemort. I just alluded to Frank; let us properly present him. Not only did he undergo a visible transformation, gaining strength due to the blessing of Mars, but he created his own identity. Franks Zhang was always overwhelmed by the inheritance of his human family - he never had a chance to demonstrate his other abilities, to even become close due to his naivety. After success in destroying the beasts of Venice, and his father's praise, he became more assured in his own instincts, in his place in the prophecy. He properly took position as the leader of his demigod legion, ready to serve his friends.

Finally, I introduce to you the concept of female resiliency. It seems to me that I have brought up many male characters, and this is quite understandable; it was once said that male protagonists are the most relatable. However, now the likes of Hermione Granger, Katniss Everdeen, Tris Prior, and many more permeate our literature. Feminine strength is a force that should not be ignored, not while Hermione is able to silence Ron Weasley with a single remark, such as when asked how it is possible for Cho Chang to feel so many emotions: "Just because you have the emotional range of a teaspoon, does not mean that we all do." And this strength is ideally brought to the surface when no one expects it, such as the introduction of the supposedly inconspicuous personality of Piper McLean, daughter of the love goddess. No one anticipates her to be a warrior; a role as a makeup artist suits her better. And yet she utilizes her lovely voice to shatter her enemies, whether it is with charmspeak or song. By being so seemingly weak, Piper becomes a dark horse, the last act that no one fears.