I' esperit de escalier

;the waiting game,
will we;

Seulgi is a good girl, she always have been and she's not planning to ever not be. She's the school president, the it-girl, you don't ever wanna mess with her. Why? She has the whole school wrapped around her finger.

She has always taken things seriously, she has to, not only is the school depending on her every move, but she's a growing heir of a whole company; one of the top 3 companies in South, Korea, infact. She needs to one-up the expectations that everyone seem to have on her. A perfect human. Everyone expects her to never have a flaw, everyone except one person, Kim Taehyung, for he loves her even with all her imperfections, but in his eyes, she's already perfect.

With all that, she could never escape the stress and pressure that's always on her chest. So, she just surrounds herself with work, what else can she do if that's the environment she grew up with. It's one of the only things she knows how to do, perfectly.

Her best friend, on the other hand. Very much so, the complete opposite of Seulgi.

Taehyung never takes anything seriously. If he could, he would leave school all-together, but of course he can't. Because he doesn't want to leave Seulgi, the girl who never seems to stop working. "I just timed you, 22 seconds. You beat your own record, again." Taehyung playfully rolled his eyes, holding his phone nonchalantly on his left and his right placed idly on his stomach. The two were laying down on his bed, but of course, Seulgi had to do her homework extra early. Just to make sure, she'll pass. But when did she ever get a failing grade?

"Seriously? I swear I could finish this in less than 15! Maybe you just suck at counting." She scoffed and tossed her calculus textbook at the side of his bed, down the floor where her oher textbooks are. She proceeded to lay next to Taehyung. They weren't awkward with it, they practically saw eachother in diapers and bathed with eachother when they were kids, this was child's play.

He gaped his mouth, offended, "Excuse me, I suck at many things but I'm pretty sure I can count to twenty two." He looked to his left and stared at her profile picture, this was becoming a problem. Seulgi was growing more and more pretty by the day, Taehyung can't help but to gawk at her sometimes, he even has to catch himself slipping for her so no one could notice how gob-smackingly whipped he is for his best friend.

Taehyung is a handsome lad, no lies in that sentence. But ever since his crush on Seulgi grew big enough that he would worry what Seulgi thinks of him, Taehyung finds him comparing himself to other guys; guys that are possible matches for Seulgi.

So, he tries to look the best when she's around (alas, she never notices though. He's always handsome, what can hair gel and expensive cologne do to an otherwise already perfect guy) so he can impress her with his visuals, the same face she saw and grew up with all her life. Even though he knows she looks at him way past his outside exterior.

Sometimes, he hates how much Seulgi knows about him. Because nothing about himself can ever wow her anymore if she already knows 100% about him, to his favorite color down to his toe size. She knows all his secrets, sucks that Taehyung can't keep a secret to save his life. But of course, he knows all of her secrets in exchange too.

But most of the time, he feels so lucky. To be the guy that Seulgi is most comfortable with. He feels special to ever look at Seulgi the way he does. To everyone else, Seulgi is a beautiful thing, but to him, she's everything.

As selfish as it is, he doesn't want to stay as a best friend. As much as he loves and appreciates her as of now, he wants to worship her for all she is as a lover.

Taehyung cuts off his train of thoughts and lowers his body, low enough so he can lean his head on Seulgi's shoulder. He wraps both his hands on her right hand. She looks at him, "You're getting clingy, you used to hate me being next to you. You faker," she laughed and gently nudges his head with her shoulder.

He giggles and nuzzles his head deeper on her neck, "Would you leave school for me someday? Let's have a day off, just you and me." He softly mutters, not even looking up at her.

"Taehyung..." She sighs, "You know my parents, they'll ground me if they ever find out. And I'll probably die of anxiety and worry even before we reach the gate." She chuckles, but he stays quiet. He understands, he has to, as a best friend. And maybe a lover some day. "I'm sorry, Tae, I just don't wanna be grounded. Do you want me to never see you again?" She nudges her again, but Taehyung doesn't let go of her hand.

"That's a lie, your parents love me. It wouldn't matter to them where you are, as long as you're with me. Remember when they let me sneak in your bedroom even while you were asleep?" He snickers.

She widens her eyes, "I still haven't forgiven you on that! You scared the shit out of me, I thought someone was going to murder me in my sleep." She playfully smacks the top of his head with her other hand. He finally looks up to meet her eyes,

"You still cuddled me after, though?" He grinned, his eyes glinting of admiration and playfullness.

She grew bright red, "W-we always cuddle, it doesn't make a difference, Taehyung." She pouted and looked to her right as she pried her hand off his to cross her arms. "Apologize to me, now."

Taehyung chuckles and holds both her hands with his. They've always been touchy, they even shared cribs while sleeping as babies, and to this day, they still sleep next to eachother. "I'm sorry, Seul, how can I ever make it up to you, princess?" She grows hotter with his chosen nickname, he had never called her that, it was always something embarrassing and cheesy like 'shortcake'.

He continues his motion by travelling his hands down her arms, to her waist. He's on top of her now, and she knows the next thing he's going to do.

He lowers his body so they're alligned (albeit, hes larger in comparison, of course) and wraps his whole arm on her small body, it was a perfect fit.

"I can't believe you're doing this," she sighed, but nonetheless she hugged him back. Then, they slept the whole night, legs tangled with eachother and breaths so close you can't even imagine. They were eachother's safe place, they didn't grow up in a crib, they grew up deep in eachother's arms.

They already act like couples, their love for eachother was unspoken, sometimes completely quiet and sometimes a whisper, loud enough to crush the piercing silence. The only thing missing was the title. But they know.

Sometimes, he regrets not saying things. What they could have been, and have no  guarantee that they'll ever be. But for now, he'll enjoy his time as a best friend. He'll worry about the lover-title some other day, they've got their whole lifetime to.

 He'll worry about the lover-title some other day, they've got their whole lifetime to

--
wc 1256