CHAPTER 1: Shuffled Cards

In a peaceful town of Ben, homes have been surrounded with trees reaching up to thirty feet high. With wide leaves, the shade they form covered the community. The relaxing, fresh breeze was what tourists have loved about Ben. With a happy and generous people, life has prospered within. A few walks across the village was where the famous lake could be found. They have called it the Misha Lake. Folks have believed fairies reside there, granting wishes to people with a clear conscience and motive. The amazing waters have reflected the blue sunny skies, symbolizing hope, and a new beginning. Birds have been freely roaming, flowers have been blooming and the greens have been overwhelming.

As time pass by came the night filled with the brightest stars. Elders have said, all these stars represent a connection between people. With the countless lights above, a single star would direct you to someone who will make a significant milestone in one's lifetime. Complicated as it seems, elders have affirmed this as they shared their experiences with their children and their grandchildren.

There was this popular short tale being passed by generations about a traveler named Jack, loafing by the lake. He loved to gaze the stars at night and claimed this one brightest, as his. "You, being the brightest, I name thee, Ace! Haha!" he shouted with a huge voice, laughing. Overheard by a mysterious cloaked lady, she approached Jack saying "What are you happy about? You seemed to be a man who worries nothing, I suppose..." 

"Well, I do have problems, I do not have much, but the cards I drew in a shuffled deck, is what I use best to make myself great!" Jack proudly responded. Confused but interested, the lady stayed and further talked with the traveler.

They became friends eventually, enjoying the company with each other. From then on, they always meet by the lake every night, laughing and talking about how amazing life can be. "Happiness is a choice. If you want something, go for it! Your life is YOUR life. Do what you got to do before it's too late.", Jack added.

Inspired by his endless life thoughts and principles, the cloaked lady eventually revealed her true identity. "What if I tell you, I am a princess of this Kingdom? Would you believe me?", she asked. Apparently, she's been secretly going out every night to escape from the stringent rules being imposed on her as the future queen. "I don't care, I am your lifetime friend, and that's all that matters, to me." Surprised by his response, the princess liked Jack even more. She said farewell to him as she went back to her castle. Deeply falling in love with the traveler, she decided to invite him over the castle the next day. As she walks through the path to the lake, she noticed the number of horse footprints going towards their usual meeting place. Worried, she hurried through but the traveler is nowhere to be found. Stepping on a twig used for a bonfire, she saw and approached an old lady staring calmly through the waters.

"I see, the gentleman is telling the truth then, he knew you'd come. He wanted me to give you this letter. I am sorry I can't do much for him earlier. He is a happy good guy!" the old lady said and smiled as she went home.

The princess then read the letter to her:

"Dear Princess Misha,

We all do have walks in life. People come and go. But always remember, among those people are your true friends. True as they are, they are not defined as the ones, who are separable. Contrary, they may be separated but nothing changes. Remember my star Ace? As the brightest among them, it will surely find a way for both of us. Every night I will look at it and ask it to look after you. Hence, wherever you are, whatever happens, you know someone is caring and thinking of you. So long my friend! Cheers!

Jack"

The message saddened the princess. She sat by a log and cried for long. After a few moments, the rumored fairies living around the lake heard the princess' woes. "I wish to see you again someday, no matter how long and how I become, we will be happy as to how you described happiness when we are together..." she whispered to the cold winds felt across the lake. The fairies felt sincerity from the princess. They danced with their wings unleashing sudden numerous lights in a form of fireflies. Flying around the lake, the area was filled with grooving lights twinkling around the princess. Her sorrows turned to hope, and this hope is what she brought as continued living her journey. It was later she realized that the kingdom found out their secret meet-ups late at night. The council had to do something with it as the royal highness is in the talks for a fixed marriage to a prince of a nearby kingdom.