RavensNest

Hello! This is the first chapter to the first story I've posted on Wattpad, let me know if you think I should continue. I welcome positive comments and constructive criticism. Happy reading!

Oh oh and I hope you like it!  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Jay!” “JAY! I know you’re hiding somewhere in these trees, I’ve already checked every other hiding spot in the cemetery. I’m gunna get you!” That’s my best friend Elliot. What he doesn’t know is that I have found a new spot behind the old oak in a huge hole I discovered this morning. As I see him creep around a bunch of bushes, with his back to me, I pounce. I land on his back taking him down and tickling him. We’ve been like this since he moved here 4 years ago after him and his mother relocated to our small village taking place of the old groundskeeper who passed away. When I first met Elliot he was a quiet, thin boy with dark circles under his eyes and a thick Scottish accent. I’m a rather adventurous girl and seeing as he lived closest to me I made it my mission to become fast friends with him. Little did I know he would soon be my closest friend. In the last four years he has grownup, a lot. He’s 6’ tall and a fairly strong guy, I think it’s all of the work he does maintaining the cemetery that builds all of those muscles but all I really know is to never challenge him in a wrestling competition. He always wins. We live in a small community in Wilmore Wilderness that was made purely to protect the park. My parents are rangers and were transferred here 18 years ago when the community was first created. A year later I was born. As the workers started having children the need for a school became apparent and the community has continued to grow from there. I’m really lucky Elliot and his mum moved over here, until they did I was the oldest kid in the area and it’s nice having someone around my age. I have one year left of school (Elliot just finished, he’s a year older than me) but we still spend all of our free time together.

“Ok, ok you got me. You can stop now!”  He pleads between laughs. “Now say ‘Jay is the best hide and seek player of all time’”  “Fine, yes, er- Jay is the best hide and seek player ever” Satisfied with his defeat I released his from my tickling clutches. He lay there catching his breath while I brushed the dirt out of my braided hair and off of my clothes. “Ready for movie night, loser?” “Every week.” He replies as I help him from the ground. It’s become a tradition over the past few years that every Saturday night Elliot, his mum and I watch a movie in the tent they have set up. We watch the movies on the inner wall of the tent from an old projector that his mum found when they moved here. It takes a little setting up (Blankets, popcorn, coffee and hot chocolate and pillows) but it’s the best way to watch a movie. “It’s my week to pick!” I call as I skip away, following the trail from his land back to my house to get my P.J’s on. My parents take their work very seriously and are rarely home and seeing as I am an only child I spend a lot of time alone. When they moved here they had the house we live in made on the edge of town, but they have a cabin deeper in the woods that they stay in half of the time. Don’t get me wrong, we have a wonderful relationship but sometimes I’m lonely. Seeing as there are no roads, no cars, no cellphone reception and no stores, I get around on a bicycle my parents got me when I was eleven. We make monthly trips into a city of my choice for shopping and fast food.

As I pull the last wool sock onto my foot I hear a knock at the door downstairs. I make my way down and let Elliot in, he walks me to his place when it’s particularly dark or there are warnings of bear sightings near town. “Hey bud, got any snacks?” I swear this guy is always hungry. “Don’t I always?” We have an SUV parked 3 kilometers away from our house where the road back to major towns and cities begins. Our car can hold a lot of snacks, but it’s getting them back to our house that sucks. It usually takes three trips to get everything to our house.  

As Elliot grabs twizzlers and Arizona drinks I slip on my hikers and we make our way in the dark back to his house. When we arrive we can smell the rich chocolate scent coming from the kitchen. “YES! It’s hot chocolate week, my favourite” Elliot throws me a lopsided smile and brings the drinks and our snacks out to the tent. His mum, Karen, and I walk out with extra blankets and settle in to watch the film. Sooner than expected I find my eyelids are getting heavier and I slip into a deep sleep.