The Wager

"The first fighter up is the newbie," Finn said.

I growled. "I have a name, you know."

Finn didn't respond. "I'm feeling generous today, so I'll make you a deal."

It was all I could do not to laugh. Generosity? Please. He wouldn't be feeling so generous once I got through with him.

"If you beat all of us, you don't have to do any chores during your stay here."

I wasn't aware chores were ever a part of the agreement. No matter, though. I wouldn't be doing them. "Deal."

Finn smirked. "You haven't even heard what will happen if you lose."

I waved my hand. "I won't lose."

"If you lose, you have to do all of the chores for the next month."

I shrugged. "Like I said, that won't be happening."

"Alright," Finn said. His eyes darted towards Maisie and Derek before landing back on me. "The two of us will fight first."

It was difficult to contain my excitement. Perfect. I wouldn't kill Finn because the mission unfortunately needed him, but I'd show him who was the boss around here.

Finn turned to Derek, who patted him on the back, before walking toward the middle of the room. He threw a few lazy punches before waiting for me to join him.

As I approached him, someone caught my arm. Aldridge?

No. I turned to see Maisie. Only the ghost of a smile played across her lips. "Don't lose yet. Save that for me."

Grinning, I rolled my eyes. We'd see about that.

Right now, though, I focused on Finn. I don't stop moving towards him until our feet were practically touching.

Finn smirked and spoke in a low voice. "Take those glasses off. Let me look you in the eyes." I remained stone-faced, so he tried a different tactic. "I hear you're good with a gun. You know, most people who hide behind firearms are either too weak or too scared to fight hand-to-hand."

"Is that so?" I tipped my head back. "And what have I heard about you?" I paused. "Oh, that's right! Nothing."

Finn gritted his teeth.  I saw the muscles tense up in his arm and knew immediately what he was about to do.

I blocked his blow as it sped for my stomach.  Finn widened his eyes momentarily before lashing out with his foot. I dodged the kick and caught his foot with my own, flipping him to the ground.

A thud echoed through the room as I grinned with satisfaction. "What were you saying?"

I could have ended it there. Finn was in such a vulnerable position, and a well-placed kick between the eyes would have knocked him out.

But I was enjoying this too much.

Finn got back up to his feet, the easygoing look on his face gone. In its place was a scowl. If I had gotten him angry this easily, my job would be easier than I thought.

He curled his fists and held them in front of him protectively. His eyes darted back and forth.

I faked punching right, then went left. My fist sank directly into his gut, and he groaned.

There again. I could have hit his pressure point. But this beating wasn't over yet.

Finn's blonde hair flashed in the light as he lifted his head again, expecting another strike. But it never came.

He did what any predictable idiot would do. With all of the rage inside of him, he jabbed at me with his fist. I stepped aside and watched as his anger-fueled momentum carried him forward. He stumbled, nearly falling over.

I kicked his back, and watched him topple like a domino to the ground. Silence filled the room.

Slowly, I approached the face-down figure. Finn was conscious, but either too weak or too humiliated to get back up.

Well, I would fix that for him.

My revenge complete, I gave him one good kick in the head. I watched as the tension released from his body and his fingers uncurled.

The victory was short. Derek came marching toward me, clearly upset I had made that short of work of his friend. He carried Finn off before turning back to me.

"That was a mistake," he growled.

I raised an eyebrow. "Oh, really?" I yawned. "Prove it."

Derek squared up, and I grinned. Oh, how I wish Aldridge was here to watch her dear husband be beat into a bloody pulp. I would have fun with this.

But what was the best way to beat him? He had already seen me fight, and I had no idea of his style.

I guess I would just have to change it up.

Before Derek could react, I rushed at him. Surprised by the move, he couldn't counter me before it was too late. We both went crashing to the ground, and Derek twisted from my grasp.

We grappled with each other, hands and feet in a struggle for dominance. My hands encircled his wrists, finally, and I managed to roll on top of him. With my knees, I pinned down his legs before delivering blow after blow to his face.

Derek managed to lift a hand to block his face, then used it to knock me off balance. I went rolling away from him, tucking my feet in to absorb the blow.

Quickly, before Derek could overpower me, I leapt to my feet. Derek did the same, wiping blood from his nose. Yet he kept a cool expression.

I scanned him up and down, replaying our fight in my head. Strength. He relied on strength. I just had to be more agile.

Gritting my teeth, I deliver a slow roundhouse kick. Derek caught my foot, thinking he had me.

On the contrary, he was right where I wanted him.

I jumped into the air and twisted clockwise, pulling my foot out of his grasp. Before I landed again, I planted my other foot into his stomach and pushed.

I landed in a roll, then scrambled to my feet. Derek was leaning forward, clutching his stomach.

I grabbed his head and brought my knee up to it. More warm blood gushed from his nose onto my leg, dripping onto the shiny floor. But that wasn't what mattered.

What mattered was Derek, collapsing onto the ground in a limp pile.

By this time, Finn had regained consciousness. He avoided my eyes as he and Maisie dragged Derek from the middle of the room. Finn remained with Aldridge's husband, but Maisie turned back to me.

She cracked her knuckles. "You've put on quite a show, putting these boys in their places. Let's see if you can fare as well against me."

I smiled. If my assumptions were anywhere near correct, this fight would prove to be interesting.