Chapter 4: Elsa

Songs for this chapter:

Sarah~ Kate Miller-Heidke

***

The writing on the walls never fade

Although covered by paint, you remember

The pain, the emotions you felt

The way you wanted to lie down and die

To sleep forever in eternal ignorance

The way your heart felt like it was breaking

Slowly being worn down by a lifetime of hurt

Fresh hurt washes over you in a flood of tears

And steel legs walk down a pale road

***

The flames burned hot at my heels, the hem of my dress catching alight. I screamed, ripping a wad of fabric off the dress and casting it to the ground.

"Sarah!" I cried, scanning the wreckage. I spotted her inside the car.

"Sarah!" I screamed once more before sprinting to the car.

"I can't get my leg out!"she wailed. "Go, now!"

"I'm not leaving without you!" I tugged at her leg but it remained stuck between the driver's seat and the glove box. Yes, the crash had disfigured the car into a twisted lump of metal.

The flames burned hotter and brighter. Someone grabbed my arm and pulled me away from my sister. I stumbled and an explosion of white light blinded me.

I woke up in a hospital bed. In my thin hospital gown, the ward was bone-chilling. I stepped out of the bed and padded lightly to the door. It swung open and there was a long, dark corridor. As I watched, the lights flickered on, row by row. Tip-toeing into the hall, I started down the corridor. Eerie carnival music floated down the hall and gradually crescendoed. I heard footsteps and I turned my head. A clown covered in blood with an evil grin was walking towards me with a knife dripping thick, dark crimson liquid onto the floor. Screaming, I stumbled backwards and my back smacked against a wall. The clown approached, taking all the time in the world.

"Who's afraid of clowns, Elsa?" it asked in a chilling whisper, before the knife soaked the ground with my blood and my agonised cries echoed the corridor.

"Elsa! Elsa, wake up!" Faye was smacking my face in a desperate plea for me to wake up.

"Get off!"I moan, covering my eyes. "Who turned on the lights?"

"I did." I glance around the room to see the slut Kat glaring at me. "You woke me up with your crying about stupid Sarah, whoever she is."

My cheeks grew slightly warm.

"I'm sorry I woke you," I mutter, not looking at her.

"Whatever. I'm going to sleep in my boyfriend's room. See you bitches later," she scowls and storms out, slamming the door behind her.

Faye sits back on my bed.

"Are you okay?" she asks and I can tell she's genuinely concerned about me.

"I'm fine," I lie.

She gives me a worried look.

"Do you want to go speak to Miss Darcy?"

"No!" I jolt upright in the bed. "I mean, I'm fine. I don't need to see anyone."

Faye bites her lip. "Alright. If you're sure," she says uneasily and flicks the lights off on her way back to bed.