Quotes: The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Cathartic, emotional, and life-altering, Cormac McCarthy's novel is filled with phenomenal symbolism, depictions of parenting that embody all the difficulties of parent-child relationships, and messages about humanity, hope, and God.
--

Written and owned by Cormac McCarthy©

You forget what you want to remember, and you remember what you want to forget

Nobody wants to be here and nobody wants to leave

People were always getting ready for tomorrow. I didn't believe in that. Tomorrow wasn't getting ready for them. It didn't even know they were there.

Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.

There is no God and we are his prophets.

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that.
You forget some things, dont you?
Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

He walked out in the gray light and stood and he saw for a brief moment the absolute truth of the world. The cold relentless circling of the intestate earth. Darkness implacable. The blind dogs of the sun in their running. The crushing black vacuum of the universe. And somewhere two hunted animals trembling like ground-foxes in their cover. Borrowed time and borrowed world and borrowed eyes with which to sorrow it.

"What's the bravest thing you ever did?"
He spat in the road a bloody phlegm.
"Getting up this morning, " he said.

You have my whole heart. You always did.

If trouble comes when you least expect it then maybe the thing to do is to always expect it.

He knew only that his child was his warrant. He said: If he is not the word of God God never spoke.

Keep a little fire burning; however small, however hidden.

Borrowed time and borrowed world and borrowed eyes with which to sorrow it.

When you die it's the same as if everybody else did too.

If only my heart were stone.

Listen to me, he said, when your dreams are of some world that never was or some world that never will be, and you're happy again, then you'll have given up. Do you understand? And you can't give up, I won't let you.