chapter fourteen

𖤹 𖤹 𖤹 𖤹 𖤹

chapter fourteen • eat, sweetheart
Z A R A  A U R O R A  M A L H O T R A

𖤹   𖤹   𖤹   𖤹   𖤹

"How was the food, Mrs. Malhotra?"

Michael asks me with the same pleasant smile on his face when he sees me at the kitchen talking to the helpers. I was already done with my food long ago but he wasn't there. I smile back at him. "It was amazing. After my mom's cooking, this is the best cooking I've ever tried, to be honest."

I made a real compliment. Mom cooks the best and she makes the best food for us. No one was able cook as perfectly as she does but this cooking is almost near perfection. Just like Mom's.

"That is quite a compliment, Ma'am."

"It sure is." I pause, lowering my eyelids. I want to really ask something but I couldn't.

I wanted to know how Raj is with food. I suddenly just thought of knowing his food habits because he knew mine and made some efforts for it. But I didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea of me trying to get to know him. I'm not trying to get to know him at all.

I'm just curious to know because now that I think about it, I've never seen him eat. I've never seen him talking about food but then he does things like this to perhaps impress me.

"Michael, um... He... He..."

"Yes, Ma'am? Would you like to ask me something?"

"Uh... He... Has he..."

"Um, do you mean your husband, Ma'am?"

"You know what, I forgot what I wanted to say, Michael."

"That's alright, Ma'am. Do let me know when you remember." He steps back.

Fuck it. Why must I be scared? Raj is never scared. In fact, he's the most unbothered person I've ever met. So, why must I be scared? I can be unbothered too.

"Wait, I remember now," I say and he puts his focus back on me. "I'd like to know if Raj has his lunch here."

"Oh, I'm afraid not, Ma'am. I have never seen him have his meal at home. Only a few times. He only drinks green tea and nothing else. Why do you ask, Ma'am?"

Huh?

He doesn't eat here? Is it because he likes to eat outside? But eating outside regularly isn't healthy at all.

"Oh, it's nothing. I just wanted to know his eating habits."

"That's a whole lot of story, Ma'am. Your husband is a horrible eater. He skips many meals and can go for so long without eating anything. He drinks lots of water, though. Sometimes even too much but he doesn't eat properly."

"Do you know why?"

"According to him, it's just the way he is."

"You've asked him about it before?"

"Yes, Ma'am. Respectfully, of course. He's been so kind to me and I was just genuinely worried and curious. I asked him why I don't see him eating regularly at home and he says it's just his eating habits."