That Girl

Rolling out of bed on an early June morning, I smack my alarm to get it to shut up. I cuss as I try to find some clothes to throw on. “10 more days, you can do it” I give myself a small pep talk, dreading going to that hell-hole of a school. It wasn’t that I didn’t like staff, or the classes, but it was the peers who surrounded me. I look up at the five posters of my favorite band aligned above my bed, giving them a weak smile as if they were real people. “Do it for them.” I continue to tell myself.

                After brushing my hair I was out on my quick walk to my neighbor’s house to get a ride. My stomach churned. “What would they call me today, what would they say…?” I continued to ask, working myself up. The nauseating ride took less than ten minutes yet felt like hours. When were dropped off go a few steps before my friend stops to say hello to some peers, being the social butterfly she is. I quickly dig in my pockets for my iPod and pop my headphones, heading up the stairs waiting for my friend- My security guard. We go up to ‘our spot’ and sit with our friends. They weren’t really our friends, just a group of mismatched people that got along enough. I could barely make out what my ‘friends were talking about, music running through my mind. “Flashes left in my mind, going back to the time, playing games in the street kicking balls with my feet, dancing on with my toes, standing close to the edge”  The group of kids suddenly stand up, and start walking off in various directions. I headed towards my first class, Math.