Chapter Eight

Sue was staring at her reflection.

She was stunning in her white satin gown. It had a sheath silhouette, square neckline, beautifully gathered bodice, beaded spaghetti straps that crisscrossed in her back, beaded dropped waistline, the wrapped skirt was straight in front and gathered in the back leading to the sweeping train. And the side zipper was hidden.

"Nervous?" Her mother came to stand beside her.

"Yes, and so much more, mom."

"You're beautiful, darling. Jack is a lucky man. And so are you. If you're ready your dad is waiting in the living room. Lucy's already gone with Levi."

***

Jack's mom was fussing all over him. Now if it was Sue playing with his tie, he wouldn't mind, but his mom. His dad was doing his best not to laugh, ignoring his son's silent plea.

Finally, his mom took a step back. "Jack, you look great."

"He looked exactly like that fifteen minutes ago, Sophie," couldn't resist her husband.

"Do you have the rings?"

"Yes, mom. Could we leave? I would prefer not to be late at my own wedding."

"Of course, son. Just give me a minute to freshen up."

Father and son exchanged looks. Twenty minutes later, they drove away.

***

"You took your sweet time, mate." Bobby was waiting outside the chapel for Jack. "Mr. Mrs. Hudson, nice meeting you. Bobby Manning. There's a seat front row waiting for you."

They kissed their son before entering the chapel.

"Is Sue here, Bobby?"

"Of course, she is, mate. You didn't think she was going to change her mind, did you? You have the rings?"

"Why is everyone asking me that?" Jack gave them to his best man.

"Good. Now take a deep breath and relax, would you? Dimitrius survived his trip down the aisle, the odds are you will too. So...ready to lose your freedom and be chained for life."

Jack smiled. "You have no idea."

Jack entered the chapel with Bobby by his side. At the altar, their back to him, Sue and her dad were chatting with Father Christopher. As Father Christopher saw Jack and Bobby, he gestured them to approach. Tom and Sue turned around.

Her hair cascaded loose on her bare shoulders, and her dress was stunning, molding her body perfectly. Her smile radiated into his heart. Her eyes shining like a thousand stars were his beacon. Bobby was nudging him forward. Had he been looking around, he would have noticed all their guests standing up.

Sue's parents, beaming proudly. Her three brothers, one with his wife and two unruly children, one with his girlfriend, and Mikey with Lucy. His parents, his mom tears already flowing. His sister with her new boyfriend, a young guy with more earrings than fingers. Dimitrius and his wife. Darcy in the same row. Myles and Tara, their shoulders brushing. And Ted, an enigmatic smile on his face.

But Jack didn't see any of them. He only had eyes for the woman who stole his heart, his soul. Somehow, he made his way to her, his feet walking on their own power. The little chapel was beautifully decorated and fragrance from the fresh flowers filled the air. Jack extended his hand to her, she offered hers.

As soon as she saw Father Christopher lift his head, Sue turned around. Jack was standing at the entrance, Bobby at his side. He was so handsome. She immediately noticed he was wearing that same shirt she had on two nights ago. She smiled at him, her heart beating so fast she was convinced everybody beside her could hear it. He walked to her, unaware of anything else. When his hand touched hers, it sent shivers down her spine. She was dazzled.