Chapter 3: Can't Wait

Another day, another hour, another $12.50.

My eyes wandered over the glass that was scattered all over the 70s R&B section. Some clumsy kid caused one of my favorite mirrors in the store to fall. I'd watched him from across the store as he carelessly twirled and skipped through the aisles. His parents, who also proved to be careless, were totally oblivious to his behavior. It was only a matter of time before he would destroy something.

I looked up and out of the window staring almost directly into the blazing sun, but unfortunately Atlanta's prosperous weather did nothing for my mood. The broken glass that sprawled across the floor was a better reflection.

For some odd reason, other than the fact that my favorite mirror was broken, the shop's atmosphere felt so dreary today. It could be the fact that I was the only one who had to drag my ass into work today. James wasn't here, he had called in an hour ago saying he had fallen sick. He wasn't slick, he just didn't want to come in.

It was noon and my shift had started only two hours ago. This realization only added on to my discontent. Suddenly I hated Sunday shifts.
Blistering hot summer day in Atlanta and all I had on my checklist was to get through this shift.

I was bored out of my mind. All my tasks for the day were done and there were no customers. I decided to connect my phone to the Bluetooth and walked over to the chair behind the counter, hoping to catch a break. My tense shoulders relaxed when I heard my song CPR come on; but I knew luck wasn't on my side when I heard the bell on the door ring.

"Ugh" I got up and grabbed a bottle of glass cleaner in an attempt to pretend to be cleaning the counter. I couldn't let my manager Gwen see me relaxing while a customer was here. She was worse than my mama.

Caught me at the right time baby

I was at the edge, I was at the end

Made me feel like there is life worth living

I glanced around the shop to find who had walked in. I couldn't see her face, but her backside alone was enough to satisfy me. She had long, straight brown hair. Enchanting dark brown skin and a slim physique. She wore a cropped black tank top and a pair of distressed jean shorts. I had to thank God for the summertime.

The 90s R&B section seemed to be her favorite since she stayed there a while. My music continued to play and she nodded her head to the beat as she shopped around. I found myself smiling at that.

Finally she was done looking around and made her way the register. I was nearly breathless when I saw her face for the first time, and she grinned up at me. When I finally found the strength to stop staring; I rung up her item. Erykah Badu's Baduism.

"Lovely taste. I love Badu," I spoke softly.

She looked up from her phone, still smiling

"Thank you. I've always listened to her but I wanted the actual record for myself."

She handed me over the money after I told her the amount due.

"Hey, could you tell me the artist that sings that song you were just playing? I've never heard it before."

I damn near blushed right then and there. This fine ass girl liked my music.

"It's uhh...someone near and dear to me. She hasn't actually released the song yet. "

"Aww well I understand. She's sensitive about her music. I know the feeling" She said the end of her sentence as if she hadn't meant for me to hear. I quickly wiped the confusion from my face away and handed over her receipt and record.