by W.A.Case (Wendy Case)

Chapter One

"Madoc?" Angel said breathlessly, her fingers kneading the sheets at her side, her mind wondering what he was to her and how had he gotten there.

"Hello my Queen." he smiled, his voice sounding husky, making her chest ache, her stomach twist, and her face flush with the heat he invoked inside her.

"Hi," was all she could say in return as he bent over, kissing her forehead with the lightest of touches. His warm breath brushed over her skin, making her arms tingle as prickling bumps rose causing the tiny hairs to stand on end.

"Are you feeling better?" His voice was strong and rich with an accent she had never heard before. It sounded very old and from a time long passed.

"Yes, I'm feeling good, thank you." She inhaled deeply, his skin smelled sweet - not sickly, but just right, giving her a great sense of calm.

"I am pleased to hear that," he smiled, sitting by her side again and resting his hand warmly on her bare upper arm, making her nervous stomach flutter even more.

"How did you get here?" Angel couldn't stop looking at him, his silver eyes amazed her just as Zared's did the first time she had seen them.

"You did it. You called me back. Your powers have gotten stronger a lot faster than anyone thought they would. Now that you have summoned death to give back life, this has allowed me to come to your side sooner than I had anticipated. It's is a blessing for me, I will worry less now I am here to protect you." He spoke with so much confidence as his fingers touched her unruly hair, it had been a long time since he had last touched her. "This face has never changed over all your lifetimes. Always angelic, an innocence that suits you well." He smiled softly tracing her delicate cheek.

"What? How?" He had lost her for a moment.

"Reincarnation. You're a very old soul, but for a long while you never reached adult age." Madoc looked sad for a minute. "I have watched over you for so, so long, waiting for this time to come." He looked behind her. "Waiting for your powers to return." He paused for a moment before speaking again. "Zared, my dear brother, never got the chance to reach his full potential. They found us so quickly on our last visit, turning him before he could get his wings and murdering you right there in front of us. They knew of all our futures, a witch had seen it written in a great book about your power and how the world will need you at its end. So she told Mokhtar, a born vampire, what he needed to do to secure their place. He desperately wanted to rule over the humans like they once did before the battle of gods. He persuaded Lilly to betray her sister, allowing her to mate and marry his son, Dyfan. To stop what was foreseen they murdered you just before your twenty-first birthday and, on the day of your promise to Zared, they came for us, turning my brother into one of their kind. They came for me not long after, but I did the only thing that could to stop their plan; to give you a chance to return—I died first." Madoc looked over at Zared as he spoke, remembering their past and what he was before. "I drove your silver dagger through my heart, feeling it go instantly still. The last thing I saw was the savage figure of a man that used to be family."

"What happened after that?" Angel asked, her voice barely a whisper.

"The gods took me back into their arms. Not your god, but ours. We were sent to protect you and we failed, but you were born again as always. I watched as sometimes you would reach a good age, but in others you were still a child and in their circles. Sometimes they would find you before I could be sent back to your side." Madoc looked at her briefly, his silver eyes turned to steel, blazing at a past memory that plagued his vision. "Zared always knew when you returned. He would feel your bond calling to him night and day. He was a vicious being in his early years, always so hungry for death and violence. I was powerless to see my kin ripping innocents apart for the pleasure of it, to drain them to within an inch of death and then torture them for hours until he was bored. The gods thought it best to block the bond you both shared, amazed at how it had survived in the first place. But in this life you were given the chance to find my brother and have your powers back and I knew, once he was by your side, you would be safer. And with your powers returning it gave you the strength to actually call him to you. Now he will remain at your side until death." Madoc smiled.