Feeling Beautiful

Feeling beautiful is one of the best feelings in the world, I think. It brings a smile to my face, gives me confidence, and brightens my day.

The feeling comes at times when I'm not even dressed up. It comes when I feel the wind brushing your hair, and I'm like, Hey, this is like what happens in the movies. It comes when I put on my favorite bathing suit, shirt, dress, pair of shorts, shoes, or hair clip. It comes when someone says, Oh, that's such a cute shirt!

And then of course it comes when someone tells me I'm beautiful. When I'm sitting on the couch in athletic shorts and a t-shirt with my hair in a bun that's falling out, and my grandma comes in and says, "You're beautiful." When my hair is falling in my face and my mom says, "Your hair is so pretty right now."

Times when I feel like an absolute mess, but I guess don't look like one.

I love feeling beautiful. And that doesn't mean I'm always seeking attention, it doesn't mean I'm a slut or a whore, and it doesn't mean I'm a prissy little princess who only cares about looks.

Everyone loves feeling beautiful. I think it's natural. So go right ahead and put on a little bit of extra makeup. Go right ahead and think, Wow, I look really good today, and don't feel ashamed for having that thought.

If you look good, tell yourself. Say, "[Name], you look damn good today." And then when you ever feel anything less than beautiful, remember that moment and remind yourself that it's okay to not feel beautiful every second of every day. It's okay. Remember that even if you're not feeling so great today, you're still beautiful.

Remember how beautiful you are when someone gives you a look and says, "You're wearing that?" Remember you're beautiful when you're shopping and you love a dress but your friend thinks it's not that great.

Even though it's a fantastic feeling to be told you're beautiful, don't wait. You don't need your friend, your mom, your grandma, your crush, your boyfriend, your cousin, or your aunt to tell you you're beautiful.

You only need you. So never forget that you're beautiful, because people who think they're ugly will try to make you think you're ugly. As hard as it will be, when that girl you hate comes over to you and tells you you're ugly, just wonder why she thinks pushing other people down will push her up. Just smile, and walk away. Or, if you're feeling especially nice, smile and say, "No, I'm not. Oh, I like your [item of clothing]!" If she calls you names, just walk away.

You tried.

So remember that you're beautiful, and tell yourself that every day. Tell your friends, your sister, your mom, your grandma, your cousins, and your aunt, too, because they might need a reminder. Tell your brother, and your dad, and your uncle, also, because even though they're guys, it doesn't mean they don't need encouragement.

Today, I'll give you a little help. Hey, [your name], you're beautiful.

Don't forget it.

Because feeling beautiful is wonderful.