Chapter 1- Love, Love, Love

Time flies when your in love.  It feels like yesterday that I first saw Jake.  He had his back pack slung over one shoulder, his head down, pretending to listen to some of his friends converations. 

I was a nervous sophmore trudging into the La Push school for the first time.  Not only did I feel out of place, naturally, but people made sure that they didn't open their arms to newbies.

Jake was the first person to talk to me.  Six weeks later we were dating. Six months later, I was lying in his bed, my nude body pressed up against his.

I felt loved for the first time in a very long time.  Someone finally cared about me.  Made me feel wanted. So from then on we were seemingly always together.  Even Embry and Quil, Jacob's best friends, made sure they made that clear. They teasingly fussed that I got all the attention from Jacob.  So I finally said to them, "You guys can sleep with Jake tonight.  I understand you both are going through withdrawal, I'm here to help you out," I laughed at there expressions. But that was the end of the teasing.

Now here I was on the beach with my boyfriend a few weeks before senior year.

We were lying on our sides facing eachother, his right arm around my waist.  His left being used as my pillow. 

"Aren't you going to miss this, Riley?" Jacob murmurred against my neck.

"Hmm?" My eyes were closed; I snuggled closer to him.

"You know, the beach, the dirt bikes, the skinny dipping at ridiculous hours, me?" He whispered the last part.

I sharply pulled away from him to look into his eyes.

"Of course I'm going to miss everything, but we still have another year of highschool.  We shouldn't be worrying about it.  And i mean, who's to say that we can't go to college together?" My eyebrows were slightly furrowed. Why would he bring this up?  We need to enjoy the time we have. Hopefully that time never runs out.

"I'm not going to college," he said, slightly defeated. He turned his face away from me to look at the stars; his right hand dropping from my waist as he turned onto his back.  I instantly felt colder.

I climbed over top of his body, straddling his hips. Took my hands and put them on either side of his face.  His long black hair swirled around my hands in the wind.  Beautiful.  After a moment of looking in his dark brown eyes, I opened my mouth to speak.

"Why?"

"Because, Riley, well... just because," he looked like he was having an inner battle with himself. His head turned to the side pulling out of my grasp and breaking our eye contact. I felt my heart drop.  Sighing, I sat up straight, my hands trailing from the place they had fallen on his neck down to the hem of his shirt.  I climbed back off of him and sat with my knees to my chest, facing the ocean.  I knew what this was about.

"Jacob, I don't care if you're not the richest man in the world. I don't care if you have to have financial aid to go to college. Don't be embarassed.  I just want you there with me."  I whispered. I turned head to look at him. "I promise everything will get paid off.  I just... I just want to have the college experience; but only if you're right there with me."

We stared at eachother for a few moments. A smile was playing on his lips. Of course then I returned it, probably looking like an idiot. I knew that was an "ok" from Jacob.

"Damn, it will be nice to get off this reservation. But still, you will need to find the most dirt cheap college to go to. I don't care if I have to brush my teeth with toilet water." he flashed a wide smile at me and then started laughing.

I chuckled along with him. "Well now, I believe I have higher standards then you, but if you wish, I'm sure I coud find one."

I slid back up to him and he opened his arms. I kissed him softly, feeling his smile still there. After a few minutes I pulled back to catch my breath.

"You know, my house is open.  My mom won't be back for three more weeks." I looked down at his lips then brushed some stray pieces of hair from his face.  That was how it usually was. With my dad dead and my mom constantly working, Jake and I could have the house to ourselves almost whenever we wanted.

Jake pulled me tighter to him, kissing me with some desperation. He stood up, me going with him and then lifted me off the ground.  I instinctively wrapped my legs around his waist while we headed back toward the car, still kissing.

I don't remember the trip home. Just the blinds in my bedroom roughly being pulled shut.  And then our clothes hitting the floor.  Jake's bare chest above me, his hair brushing softly against my cheeks.