Ch.1 Promise Me

His mother smiled as he grabbed his things, but in her heart, she was scared. In a few minutes, her son will step into a plane and travel thousands of miles to war. Stefano could see the fear in her eyes.

"Mother-" He said before his mom held him close. She was struggling to keep her tears from falling. He is willing to go the distance and face the unknown to make his dream a reality. Taking pictures of roses just wasn't enough for him anymore. He wanted to travel and attempt to catch the real action of combat. Something that photographers never accomplished. In order to achieve such a thing, you would have to be with a unit in the front line, and survive the days of chaotic hell. Even with his training, the chances of Stefano Valentini returning were slim.

"Promise me that you will come home safe. Promise me that you'll come to us unscathed" She whispered. Stefano hugged his mother. She begged him for weeks to not be a war photographer, but his mind was set on this path.

"I promise." He whispered back before they let go. Stefano turned his head to the window. A familiar car pulled into the driveway. It's time. 

"I have to go." He stated before picking up his bag. His mother couldn't hold the tears anymore.

"You have no idea how much it hurts to see you go. How much I love you." She said as she hugged him one last time.

"I love you too mom." He replied as he hugged her back. They let go and Stefano made his way to the door. His hand was on the handle before he froze. He started to turn his head to face his mother.

"Don't look back." She whispered through her tears. Stefano gritted his teeth as he turned the knob and walked out the door. The urge to look back grew harder with every step towards the car. Stefano set his bags in the trunk before getting in the passenger seat. He rested his head against the window staring at the pavement. 

"Hey." A voice said before a hand rested on Stefano's shoulder. Stefano turned to face his friend.

"I know It's hard. The first step always is. But we'll be here when you get back." She said with a small smile. Stefano tried to smile back.

"We'll send you letters. Just make sure that you write back.   Remember, we're in this together. We will achieve our dreams side by side. Stefano Valentini the brilliant artist, and Emily Lewis the marvelous actress and model. We'll be an unstoppable team." Emily added before Stefano smiled.

"Thanks Emily." He said before they reached the airport. Emily was silent as Stefano got out and grabbed his things. He nodded his head to her and started to walk away.

"Stefano!" Stefano stopped at the sound of Emily's voice. He turned around before Emily wrapped her arms around him tightly.

"Please come back safely. I can't bear the thought of losing you Stefano. Promise me that you won't try to be a hero when hell reveals its face. Run and don't look back." She begged before looking into his eyes. 

"Please." She whispered. Stefano wrapped his arms around her.

"I promise." He whispered back before they let go. She smiled at him before they started walking their separate ways. Stefano paused.

"Emily?" He said as he turned back to her. She looked back at him eagerly waiting for his words. 

"I       I..." He felt tears form as he smiled slightly.

"I'll see you soon." He stated before Emily smiled. They said farewell before leaving each other's presence. Tears rolled down his face as he sat in his seat. Scolding himself for not telling her how he really felt. He should have told her years ago. He might not have the chance now. The future is now beyond unpredictable. He knew that the promises he made he might not be able to keep.