Prompt
"I lost the baby."

---

I was sipping my tea when she came into the room, her head hanging low between her shoulders and tears straining her face. She sat next to me, leaned against my body for support. I could feel her warm breath ticking the side of my neck.

"What's wrong dear? Why are you crying?" I asked gently. She didn't answer though, just buried her face further in my skin and buried her fingers into the material of my sweater.
"If you don't tell me I can't help you." That seemed to snap her out of her trance. She pulled away painfully slowly and took a good while before her blue tearfilled eyes finally met mine.

"I lost the baby," she whispered and pulled me back to her, sobs ripping through her fragile body. I wrapped my arms around her torso, shock still couldn't let me talk. Time as if slowed down for, the song in the background went quiet. Even the broken faucet stopped dripping. I couldn't think of anything to say, no words came to my mind as naturally as they always did.

"We'll try again then. We'll keep trying until we get it right," I whispered. I took her face into my hands and pulled her up to mine, pressing our foreheads together. Our eyes were closed and filled with tears. It happened too many times to be real. Too many times for a young couple like us.

"What if it happens again? I don't want to go through this all over again. What is it's just not for us? She warned us..." she protested gently, although it worked as much as summer breeze trying to move a mountain.

A soft, broken laugh escaped my lips.
"Don't say that. We can do it. One day definitely. Just believe in us love. I know we can make it one day. You just have to-" But she cut me off before I could finish.

"But I'm scared. I don't want to screw up again. Maybe we should try something different," she insisted, and I could tell she was really scared. But running away from our problem wouldn't solve it.

"No. We're gonna face it. And we're gonna get it right. Maybe not on the first try, but we will, eventually. Okay?" She waited for a while before finally nodding, just a little bit. If I wasn't concentrating I could easily miss it.

"But you're gonna stand by me, right?" she asked with trembling voice, her fingers pulling at my hoodie to drag me closer, to make sure I was here for her no matter what.

"Of course I will. I promised that, didn't I?" I softly chuckled at her question and kissed her cheek, my lips lingering on her skin for longer than necessary.
"Now go get your coat. We're gonna choose new rose at the florist. And we won't let this one die, okay?"

---

alrighty, first story's up, as i promised. bo proofreading, rewriting or going back and forth to check if everything's good.

i hope you enjoyed this one as much as i enjoyed writing it. feel free to leave feedback or your own stories in the comments. this one's not just for me, but for all of the young aspiring writers like me.

~void