Guilty

So, this was the last day I sat down to watch the sunset on that beautiful beach that nobody owns, that feeling was unique, I really witnessed something coming to an end and no one could stop it.

After 5 years of working abroad, I decided to return to Isla Mujeres where I had been raised all my life, to start again where I really felt good, during my time away I went back a few times to see my parents, but always in a very short time, the work almost keep me isolated from home.

I've been hearing for some time about the impact that global warming has on nature, as always I said that I will waste less water and consume less products that end in the ocean, but I never do something, until I realize the damage I had caused.

There is a beach near to my parent's house that I have always loved, because of all the good memories that I have from there, I discover it since I was 15 years, it became a special place; unknown, clean, with little waves and a beautiful reef where at least I enjoyed two sunsets per week. In that magnificent place used to live a small and black colored dog that loved to sleep under the shade of the palm trees, over time we became friends and we have a real concection, I never took him home because I knew I can't offer him a better life than the nature and freedom of the beach, this does not stop me from calling it Tomas.

Another of the best memories felt in love that beach, adolescent things. One Sunday morning I went to pick some shells to my mom and instead I found a boy who was trying to stroke Tomas, I stood in front of him and watched him as a fool; all day I stayed at the beach laughing and playing, his name was Santiago. As I said I will never forget that day with that stranger who for a few hours I really felt something, after watching the sunset and looked at each other for a long time, he kissed me; before losing sight of him he shouted to me -Emilia, for me you will always be the beautiful girl on the beach.

Today 5 years later I find myself sitting on the dirty sand, after swimming in a destroyed reef where the last memory of that beach will be a frightened manta ray that tried to swim among the trash that destroyed her home and Toma's too, who like Santiago I have not seen him again. We've destroyed it, together we buried that magnificent beach and everything that used to live in it, as well as my memories and a part of me.

It will never be the same again, I can almost feel the desperation of the manta ray, condemned to an unjust end by the most dangerous specie. I'm really sorry.