Chapter 1

"Crap – where is that little piece of elastic?" Isabelle Bane huffed, holding her ponytail in place as she searched for a hairband from her once pristine make-up table.

The glass perfume which she has recently bought  was lying haphazardly next to her open make-up kit. Long strands of her brunette hair were stuck in her grey wooden brush along with a pink, glittering blotch which has accidentally fallen while she was putting on her lip gloss. To say the least, she was the most clumsy and messy member of the Bane family, not to mention, she always found it difficult to get ready on time. As it happened, she was running late for her interview with Mason LTD, a new company which was built about two years ago.

With mounting frustrations, she turned to her wall length mirror and assessed her appearance. Her very black pupils, the color of midnight was accentuated with the thin line of eyeliners, making her eyes shine brighter and her oval-shaped face looked bare with only her lip gloss. Her dress made of a red chiffon clung to her waist, but flared below, until it reached her knees. Overall, she could say that she was ready for her interview, if she ignored the ticking of the clock, which was a constant reminder of how late she was getting. At top speed, she grabbed her sling bag filled with her CV and level of academic experience and her brown stiletto heels.

Isabelle closed the door of her apartment where she lived alone. It was in an unkempt building, found in a remote area with layers of blue paint peeling from its surface. But she was grateful for its cheap rent. Although 4 years ago, after her graduation, she was doubtful and suspicious, even scared to live alone, but now at twenty-four, she was used with the loneliness and hardships of life.

Lifting her hand, she hailed a cab and gave the driver directions to her destination. Inside the small vehicle cramped with other people, Isabelle was feeling irritated and her nervousness was threatening to explode. Despite her previous interviews, she felt as though the upcoming one would be the hardest. And it was only yesterday when her mini cooper, a small grey car gifted by her parents 4 years ago had decided to break down. She shifted towards the door, uncomfortable by the heavy thigh of the burly man pressed against hers and allowed the cool air from the car window to calm her nerves.

Finally, and after a torturous wait of half an hour, Isabelle stumbled out of the cab and released a long breath. If only she could get used to cab drives...

The glass and steel building before her were mixed in a shade of blue and grey. It was large and long, almost of 20 floors, so that she had to lift her head to see its name carved beautifully on top, behind which puffs of white clouds were rolling lazily across the light blue spring sky. Stomach filled with butterflies, Isabelle moved forward towards the entry where two broad-shouldered large men were standing, their face masked in an emotionless expression. It was only when Isabelle had entered the building, had she seen the tiny nod from the security guard on her right.

Wondering about their hardened countenance, she walked towards the middle-aged receptionist who was sitting behind a transparent desk, her manicured nails bright in a scarlet colour tapping continuously on her computer. At the far end was a curving staircase beside an elevator. This place was far better than any place she has ever been, Isabelle thought, even the chequered marble floor was polished to an extreme that it showed her figure.

Intimidated by the foreign atmosphere and the serenity which belied the unmistakable buzz of success, she felt another wave of agitation crash against her stomach and thought about her previous failed interviews.

If she doesn't receive this job, her father would force her to come and live with him and her mother and she would lose her freedom at trying to do things on her own. And this time, not even the modicum income from waitressing in the diner could help her pay her rent, for her dues were piling up...

"Hi! Can I help you?" A cheerful voice pulled her from her miserable thoughts and Isabelle wondered of when her own voice has been this cheerful. Not after she has turned eighteen, she realised, not after that humiliating day when she had faced the stark reality and fallen into drowning sensations.

"Hello, I'm here for the PA interviews. Isabelle Bane." She told the smiling receptionist, assessing how tight the blond knot of her hair was, and how uncomfortable her conservative grey suit was feeling. Somehow, Isabelle knew she couldn't survive this boring outfit for a longer time.

"Nice to meet you Miss Bane. Welcome to Mason LTD. Please press for the twentieth floor on the elevator, you would reach the waiting area."

With a fleeting thank you to the receptionist, she made a hasty walk towards the given direction and reached another spacious lobby, which was filled with other people dressed formally and immaculately – her possible competitors, Isabelle mused ruefully.

A man dressed impeccably in black suit stopped her, and after asking her name, tilted his face toward the last empty seats, which was partly hidden by a large plant; a peace lily, with highly maintained large leaves and white flowers.

Her bag gripped tightly, she moved towards a vacant seat which was isolated in its wake. The others glanced at her, the women a little longer, as though she had become a thorn in their path and Isabelle couldn't help the shudder of disgust passing through her. She knew all too well that the women in the city were very different from her. Having lived away from the city, she wasn't used to their extravagance living, where money, fame and power spoke it all. In all honesty, she knew that her chance of receiving the job was low, even lower if her academic performances were considered, for the company would prefer someone better than her, she was sure...

The steel jet black door on her right opened, and Isabelle gasped slowly as a woman with straight shoulder-length black hair emerged from there. Unlike the boring and conservative suit of the receptionist, this one was dressed in a sleeveless dark blue bodycon dress, which lay strict emphasis on her small waist and large hips. She was moving with an air of arrogance and confidence, her mouth curled in a satisfactory smile. Behind her was another woman – a blonde, dressed in a peach bandage dress, who was stomping her way towards the elevator. Looked like her interview hasn't gone well, Isabelle concluded and thought about the CEO she hasn't even seen. In her mind, the man was bald and old with a stoic face.

"Isabelle Bane, follow me,"

Isabelle jerked her head towards the black-haired woman, who was already looking at her with an irritating expression. Realising that her turn has come, she walked towards the woman, panic gripping her as they approached the door.

Well here goes nothing, she encouraged herself, following the woman inside the office. It was a large spacious room, with luxurious furniture.

A man, presumably the CEO was standing beside the wall length window, overlooking the breath-taking view of London. He was broad-shouldered, in a fancy looking rich grey suit, moulding perfectly to the length of his body. Tall, and over six feet something, his stance was poised and calculated, as if on a photo shoot.

The woman beside her walked over next to him and whispered something before nodding. Isabelle gaze followed her until she moved out of her room and the door closed in a resounding thud.

Leave me alone with the lion, Isabelle mused childishly, and drew in a long breath, readying herself to face the man. The first thing she noticed when she turned back was black eyes, the same colour as hers, looking unsmiling at her. The man was handsome, nothing like what she has thought of him; he wasn't bald nor old. But this wasn't what has made her heart run a marathon. He was extremely familiar, a face she couldn't even forget in her dreams.

He was back, she only thought before the vision blurred in front of her and she felt darkness drawn upon her, pulling her into oblivion.

*******************

Hey guys!

So this is the first chapter, I really hope you like it.

The next chapter will be on next Thursday.

I really hope you like it.

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow!

Until next time,

Love Sydney