Evangeline's Story

*Earlier

                “You’re just a daydream away, I wouldn’t know what to say if I had you,” I finished and my friends cheered. “Thank you, thank you.” I bowed playfully.

*Present Time

“Is that Jack over there?” My friend nudged me and I whipped my head around. It was Jack and he was walking in my direction.

                “Hey,” he waved and smiled down at me. “I’ve been trying to find you all day!”

                “Me?” I was skeptical. “Uh, I think you have the wrong person.”

                “You’re not the one who was singing one of our songs earlier?” He gave me a confused look. “Evangeline, right?”

                “Um, uh,” I opened and closed my mouth a few times before my friend rolled her eyes and stepped in for me.

                “Yeah, she’s really good isn’t she?” I shot her a dirty look but she was too busy embarrassing me to notice.

                “She’s brilliant,” Jack agreed, turning to me. “I actually wanted to know if she’d sing something else for me. What do you say?”

                “Of course she will!” This time my friends didn’t even let me try to answer. “What do you wanna hear? She knows ALL of your songs.”

                “That’s impressive,” he laughed. “I don’t even know all our songs. What do you want to sing for me?”

                “Well, do you just want to hear all of A Daydream Away? I mean you already heard part of it,” I shrugged and left it up to him.

                “Alright, go for it.”

                I took a deep breath and told myself to relax and just sing. With each word, the nerves slipped farther away and I felt myself smiling.

                “Wait a second,” Jack stopped me before I reached the second verse. “Come with me, I think this would sound better with music.”

                He led me to their bus and back to his bunk.

                “Make yourself comfortable,” he gestured to the bed and I sat down uncertainly. “I’ll be right back.”

                When he returned he had his guitar and a stool.

                “Alright,” he said, sitting and adjusting everything. “On three, ready, one, two, three.”

                This time I was relaxed from the beginning and I sang the best I’d ever sang. When I finished Jack I noticed Jack was staring at me a smile on his face.

                “Beautiful,” he shook his head in disbelief. “Absolutely amazing.”

                “Thanks,” I knew I was blushing and I looked down, trying to hide it.

                “And your singing was great too,” he chuckled and I felt my cheeks turn to an even deeper shade of red. When I snuck a glance at him, I found he was already watching me.

                                “You know, I’d have to talk it over with the other guys and everything,” he hesitated, running a hand through his hair. “But I think, I mean if you’d want to, you’d be the perfect opening act for our next tour.”

                “You mean it?” I almost shouted the words in my excitement.

                “Yeah I mean it,” he reached out and ruffled my hair, then he pulled me in for a unexpected hug. “You’re too good to let go."