Chapter 3

"Everything is real, Sarah. You must not deny what you already know," the same wolf from my dream only hours ago, spoke with a certainty I was unsure of. "It's time to wake up, Sarah."

I groaned and threw my hands over my face as I contemplated what was happening. My dreams felt real, but for some reason, I couldn't make out what was reality and what was only a figment of my imagination. Out of every single place that I had lived in, California was certainly becoming the most prominent. For some reason, one which I was unable to make out at this time, I knew that my life was about to change. I just didn't know how much it was going to change, I couldn't even remember why I was having these thoughts with myself if I was dreaming. The thing was though, I didn't feel like I was dreaming. I had been in school only moments before and the last thing that I could remember was—that human-like thing turning into a wolf.

"Wake up," the voice spoke again.

Suddenly everything came rushing back and I gasped as I immediately sat up. The room that I was currently in was unfamiliar and I could only wonder who had brought me here after I had passed out. It was strange, this new reality that I hadn't realized existed. Wolves. But, was it really true or had I conjured up some dream-like world, in order to protect myself from the unknown of being the new girl, again? I was pretty certain that it wasn't a figment of my imagination and that the last thing that I remembered was somehow entirely true. I should be afraid, very afraid but for some reason, I wasn't.

That's because you're insane, I told myself as I groaned and pressed a hand to my forehead. My head was pounding and it was yet another reminder that I had passed out. I didn't know where I was and even though I wasn't afraid of this newfound reality, I was definitely afraid of the people. I didn't know who was creature and who was human. It was hard to piece together a reality I knew nothing about.

"Do you think she's awake?" I heard a voice come from the other side of the door that was currently closed off.

"Lilly, she passed out. It's not like she's in a coma so, of course, she's awake. Listen, her heart is beating really fast..., she's probably wondering what kind of monsters she's come across. Lance didn't exactly tell her about us in the right way," the other voice—Nathan, spoke softly.

"He's Lance, did you really think that he would do this in the right way?"

"No," the reply came just as the door opened.

I took a deep breath and threw the covers over my head. I wasn't prepared to do this and I certainly didn't want to find out that what I had seen had been real even though I knew it had been real. If Lilly and Nathan thought that I was asleep, then maybe they would go away and I could find a way out of this nightmare.

"You can't fool us, Chuckles. We know that you're awake," Nathan's voice held a hint of humor in it and I couldn't fathom what he thought was funny about this situation.

"How do I know that I'm awake?" I whispered, knowing it was a lame attempt at putting off the inevitable.

"You are awake, Sarah!" Lilly's voice was sympathetic and the covers immediately disappeared from my face. I was left looking at Lilly who was hovering over me with a pleading look in her eyes. "Listen, I know that this is a lot to process-"

"You mean that guy turning into a....dog as in a lot to process?" I queried as I crossed my arms and tried not to look as stupid as I felt.

"We prefer the term wolf or Lycanthrope," Nathan rolled his eyes and sat on the edge of the bed. "There's no point in denying what you already saw."

"So it's true then?"

"Sarah," Lilly reached out a hand and placed it on my shoulder. "It's all true...Alpha Lance, that guy....he's-well, he didn't exactly explain this to you in the right way but he didn't know you were human."