Ch. 2-Her Inner Demons

I was one of the Autumnkin; soft copper hair, big brown eyes, and slightly pale skin. I did not get out much; I usually either sang in the local tavern or gave myself up for sex. Although, the sex wasn't entirely free. I had become very skilled at being a thief over the years. I would get down and dirty, which I had also gotten good at, then I would take their things when they weren't looking. I've never been much for love; I was more of a fuck-and-duck kind of elf. I carried around a simple steel dagger, although I had never used it, nor intended to. I had only one true friend named Hyrelda, who I had known since birth, and had always stuck by her side. We were extremely close, we had seen each other nude and concluded our conversations with an "I love you" and an "I love you too" every time. But all we will ever be is friends. We had both agreed on that.

I had been singing in the tavern late at night, although there were only two people listening: both Springtime elves, female, and wearing clothes that only the nobles would wear. Suddenly, Hyrelda had burst through the doors like a drunken idiot and leaned against me, one hand grabbing my privates firmly. I did not resist, but I did not like it.

"How about we get a room, you sexy little elf?" Hyrelda said out loud for everyone to hear.

Her breath did not wreak of alcohol, but I asked, "Have you been drinking?"

"Of course I have... Now how about that room?" Hyrelda tossed a few coins at the owner of the tavern and pushed me against the wall.

The Springtime elves had left already, and the owner of the tavern was creepily watching from afar. Hyrelda tore my clothes off with an iron dagger, which she shouldn't have since she hates weaponry. I was resisting now, but Hyrelda was a lot stronger than she used to be.

"Don't worry. I'll make it worth your time," Hyrelda said in a disturbing voice.

She jumped on top of me and forced myself inside.

"What's wrong with you?" I cried out.

I pushed her off and grabbed my clothes then ran out of the back doors of the tavern. I tripped over something and looked at the doors as Hyrelda came running through.

"You see what you've done?" She grabbed my head and forced it into the direction of the thing I had tripped over... It was... Hyrelda. Her true body.

"Who are you?" I asked the imposter.

It's voice changed into a deep and terrifying voice and whispered into my ear, "Your worst nightmare."

Suddenly, its face looked mangled... As if somebody had tried to break her face with a hammer.

"You cannot kill me!" The deep voice roared.

Blood erupted from its mouth and traveled down its body, forming a pool around its feet. The blood moved towards me and touched my bare foot, burning the skin. I cried for help, but nobody came to my rescue. I tried to climb the stone wall that trapped me with the beast, but an arm that looked as if it were turned inside out grabbed me and threw my back down into the ground. I had landed beside my pile if torn clothes, so I grabbed my steel dagger and jumped onto the creature, plunging the dagger into its skull. Thick, dark blood was covering the ground. I didn't dare touch it.

"Come inside!" The owner of the tavern told me.

I went inside and he threw a set of clothes at me: a plain green shirt, a brown leather jacket, and black trousers.

"Get dressed!" He commanded.

I quickly did so and attached my steel dagger to my waist, assuming that I would need it now.

"Now get out!" The tavern owner told me.

"But-"

"Now!" He yelled. "I have enough to deal with right now, and I do not need you making my life any worse!"

"But do you know what that thing was?" I asked him.

"No. Now leave!" He concluded by pushing me out the door.

***********************************************

I woke to somebody knocking loudly on my door. I lazily approached the door and swung it open, revealing a city guard.

"You, sir, have been charged with murder, and thievery!" The guard put his sword against my throat. "You are going to rot in jail!"

"Aw hell no!" I said before shoving my dagger into his throat.

I realized what this meant... I had to leave the city. I packed my best clothes and as much food and water as possible and ran out the door.

"There he is!" A guard yelled.

They all came towards me. I darted into an ally and jumped over a stone wall before they could catch me. Arrows flew past my head as I ran towards the front gates of the city.

"Stop him!" A guard ordered.

Before I knew it, I was surrounded by guards just a few metres away from the gate. One of the guards suddenly looked as if he had tripped and fell onto a bed of nails, and one of his eyes was completely gone.

"What the-"

And in a bloody explosion, the guards closest to the demonic being fell to the ground, probably dead.

"Forget the criminal! Kill the beast!" One of the guards demanded.

This was my chance. I pushed the front gates open with mere strength and ran into the wilds, alone and with only a dagger to protect me. But it was a better life for everyone for me to leave.