Part 1 - Departure and Arrival

"Are you serious?" Sing asked. "That's what you've been doing for the past 2 years?"

   "Yeah," I looked into the glass I was holding, hearing Sing sigh. We were at one of the bars my group had taken over long ago. Long before we knew what Banana Fish was.

   After everything settled down, Sing, Cain and I made an alliance. It was a simple one saying we each got part of downtown, and if any of our guys started a fight, we'd have each other's backs. After that was done, I started spending every day either at the library learning Japanese, or at my new home learning Japanese. My new home was a two bedroom apartment near Central Park. Away from the area I grew up, but close to the downtown area.

   "So?" Sing asked, putting his glass down and jarring me out of my thoughts. "When are you planning on leaving?"

   "Tomorrow at 7," I answered. "I've already told most everyone. I was thinking of leaving you in charge of my gangs. Since most of the oldest members are from-" I paused for a moment, "the incident, they won't complain."

   "What about Cain? Did he say anything?"

   "He said, 'as long as the alliance isn't disturbed' or something." Sing sighed again.

   "Alright. I'll do it." I smiled at him. "But you have to call every month for check-ins. And if something happens, who would be leader for your group?"

   "Alex, then Bones. They're the two I would trust my gang with."

   "And you have no idea how long you're going to stay?" I shook my head, and the two of us stood. "As long as you remember the monthly check-ins, I don't have a problem with it."

   "Thanks, Sing," I smiled as we heading outside.

   "Say hi to Eiji for me," Sing grinned, walking off into the crowded streets. I headed home as well.

   Stepping inside, I remembered the sink full of dishes and trash bag near the door. Deciding to do the dishes, my mind drifted to Eiji. How was he? Did he have a rough time going back? Did he do well in his final years of college?

   By the time I was done with the dishes and the trash was taken out, it was past midnight. Heading into my bedroom, I saw a large suitcase and backpack containing everything I would most likely need in Japan.

My alarm went off around 4:30, but I was already awake. I leaned against the fence around the small balcony attached to the living room.

I watched the sun rise above all the buildings, saying my silent goodbyes. Of course, it wouldn't be goodbye forever.

The flight from Manhattan to Japan was long.

I got bored within the first few hours, and decided to sleep a little. I thought about Eiji. What was his family like? What was he doing now? Did he tell our story to his family? Was his family mad about all the dangerous situations he was in?

Maybe I was just overreacting, but I felt like it was forever since I last saw Eiji.

And I missed him.

A lot.

"Attention passengers," a flight attendant spoke through the intercom in English. "We will now begin our descent towards Kansai International Airport. If you have adjacent flights, please speak with one of the flight attendants after leaving the plane. Thank you and have a wonderful day."

I yawned, and looked at my phone. It was 4:28 PM. About two of my normal days had passed. It seemed like a lot, though, since I had never had drastic time changes. Walking into the airport, I saw it was very busy with people waiting to board their flights. Japanese was heard in every direction, and it hit me.

A unexplored country. A unexplored language.

I was throwing myself into something without thinking it through first.

"No way," someone muttered behind me in English. I spun around and was face to face with Sunichi Ibe, the journalist who brought Eiji to the States during the incident. "Ash? Ash Lynx?"

"Long time no see, Ibe-san," I smiled at him, and he hugged me. "But I'm Aslan Callenreese now."

"The day we left," he sobbed, completely ignoring me. "Eiji knew you didn't put him at risk. He knew that's why you couldn't say goodbye."

"I'm sorry for everything that happened 2 years ago," I bowed a little. "I didn't know the risks of getting hurt were so high all the time. If I had known, I would've sent you away the first time we met in the bar."

"It's ok," Ibe looked at me, wiping the tears from his eyes. "Eiji never regret the time he spent with you... Aslan." We smiled at each other a little longer before I snapped back to everything else around us.

"So where are you heading?" I asked, glancing at his suitcase.

"I'm actually heading back to Izumo," he said. "I just finished a job in Hiroshima. What are you doing here? A long way from home, aren't ya?"

I chuckled a bit, heading towards the gate for the plane leaving for Izumo Enmusubi Airport. {A/N: Translations for this chapter were brought to you by Google Translate -may not be right-} "出雲で大学に行くつもりです (I'm thinking of going to university in Izumo)."

"なに (What)!?" Ibe stopped walking and looked at me with wide eyes. "いつあなたは日本語を勉強しましたか (When did you learn Japanese)?"

"過去2年間で (In the past two years)," I answered as we arrived at the gate. Not many people were there, and we found some seats near the window.

"あなたはエイジと何かをするだろう (You'd do anything to be with Eiji)?" Ibe smirked at me, and my face flushed a little.

"あなたが間違っている (You're wrong)!" I exclaimed. "私はちょうど日本語を学ぶことに興味があった (I was just interested in learning Japanese)."

"それでは、あなたがここにいることを私に告げるべきでしょうか (Then should I tell Eiji you're here)?"

"いいえ(No)! まだ彼に言わないで (Don't tell him yet). 私はまだここに大学に通えるかどうか分からない (I don't know if I'll be able to attend university here yet)."

"栄の家のアパートの北に学校があります (There's a school north of Eiji's family home)," Ibe said. "それは良い学校です (It's a good school)."

"考えておく (I'll think about it)," I said as people started boarding the plane.

Ibe and I weren't sitting next to each other, and I didn't have much more patients for all the plane rides. Even though I told Ibe not to tell Eiji I was here, I had a feeling he was doing just that.

It didn't matter, though.

Because I wanted to see his face once again.