Home for Christmas

One of the things which always struck Smitty was how silently snow fell. Sitting in the passenger seat of Kryoz' car at the side of the motorway, he watched as the tiny feathers of snow made their way gently to the ground. It was like he was dreaming. For a minute he could lose himself to the idyllicism of the moment, letting the quickly-piling snow absorb his thoughts like a sponge.

One day, every day was going to be like this. Whether it was snowing, or raining, or sunny and warm, every day was going to be this peaceful, this calm. He looked to Kryoz, who hadn't seemed to fall in love with the moment as much as he had, as he was bent over outside the driver-side with his backside in the air.

"Everything alright out there, John?" Said Smitty, a smile cracking across his face as he was met with a decided grunt of frustration from Kryoz, who had left his less-than-undignified position to kneel up and glare pointedly at Smitty through the open door.

"Would be a lot better if you would actually fucking help me, dude." He said, getting up only to angrily throw the lug wrench to the ground.

Smitty looked uncertain. There wasn't much he could do since he'd never learnt to drive and had next to no idea of what it would take to change a tire, let alone change a tire whilst John was beside him and in one of those moods. The sort of mood whereby if the wrong thing was said, or the wrong thing was done, he was likely to walk off into the snow and not come back for hours.

As much as Smitty thought leaving Kryoz alone to his devices was far more inviting an idea than having to deal with his wrath, he thought it better to help him, lest they get left on the side of the motorway in the snow. It was supposed to storm and if they didn't get to the city soon they'd be stuck with nowhere to go, and he didn't exactly enjoy the idea of having to spend a night in the car. Especially as it was Christmas Eve.

Seeing how pissed off Kryoz was looking, Smitty zipped up his jacket and left the car, looking anxiously towards his friend, who by this point was perched on the crash barrier, vape in hand. "Look, how about I hold the tire jack and you get the tire off?" Smitty said, leaning his arms over the car roof.

"Whatever, Dude." Said Kryoz, taking a hit of his vape and letting it cloud around his head. "I'm too fucking tired."

"Yeah, I get ya. Let's just get this done."

"Why didn't you just help when I asked?" Kryoz questioned, standing up to brush his thighs of the snow - which was falling down quite heavily at this point - and walk over to a very humble Smitty, who had already popped the trunk and was chest deep inside searching for a jack.

"I don't know man. I was just worried you'd yell at me or something."

"Yell at you? I'm more likely to beat your ass." Said Kryoz, a sinister look spread across his face as he curled the loose strands of bleach-blond hair behind his ear. There was a pause, before he giggled stupidly and punched Smitty hard in the shoulder. "I'm just fucking with ya."

Smitty laughed. At least this meant his 'mood' was over and they could get on with things. They were lucky enough to remember to keep a spare tire in the trunk, especially for situations such as these.

It looked a bit old, the rubber was worn and the metal alloy rusted, but it was in better shape than what they currently had, which was a tire with a giant rip on one side from running over a sharp rock at some point a couple miles back.

"If you keep this lifted I'll change the tire, okay?" Asked Kryoz, looking to Smitty who was at this point working very hard to keep the car suspended with the barely-functioning jack they managed to find. Smitty grumbled an approval, and Kryoz got to work, taking the tire off bolt-by-bolt.