Chapter 10: Silver's Betrayal

Gazelle stared at herself in the mirror, running a brush through her long, golden fur, trying to remove a particularly annoying snarl that she had encountered. She put in the extra effort...

Ah, there it went. The snarl was gone, thank God.

She could hear the sounds of her guests outside; their laughs and whoops, the sound of the music that she had set up, and the occasional splash as someone jumped into the waters of the Sound, now orange-tinged as it neared eventide.

She had yet to make an appearance in front of her audience. But in order to keep her nerves at bay, and so she could take the appropriate time to get herself ready, she had been in her bathroom aboard the Alegre for a good, solid half-hour. She had already groomed herself accordingly--fur trim, conditioner, a dash of perfume, etc.

After all this, she had slipped into her new swimsuit.

She looked down at her suit, remembering getting it a couple weeks ago for another party. She loved it for its beautiful dark blue color, a color that would make her blend in with the refreshingly cold waters of the Sound. Ruffles on the chest of the suit added to the elegance of the suit, as did the elaborate, beautiful pattern of little white lotuses across the body.

To complete her look, at the behest of her style butler, she had also put a small white flower in her golden fur, for a good contrast.

Although she knew she would probably be taking them off, Gazelle had decided that it didn't matter. She'd be getting in the water eventually, once she had mingled enough with everyone.

Whilst she was getting herself ready, a million butterflies flitted and fluttered around inside her very ticklish stomach. Sure, she was nervous. It was her first time hosting a party like this, and she knew what had to go on here. Everyone had to have an enjoyable night of visiting, dancing and treating themselves to fun food. Churros and cocktails had already been placed out on the dining tables, and there was more than enough space on the Alegre for animals to mingle.

Gazelle looked at herself in the mirror once more, noting her facial expression. Those blanched, deer-in-the-headlight eyes and tight lips were a clear sign that she was nervous. As she stared at her reflection in the mirror, she began to feel those butterflies again.

What if things go wrong? her nervous brain asked, sending a wave of queasiness through her stomach.

No, Gazelle, no, she told herself. It's going to be great. You're going to have a wonderful time and when you get home, you can take a de-stress bath or something.

Satisfied that she looked good, Gazelle turned and exited the bathroom, taking deep breaths as she did so.

When she exited the lower quarters of the Alegre, she stood on the back deck, hearing the shouts of approval from some of her guests floating off the stern. She recognized a few of them: Ryan Teddy of SunBearRepublic, Sabrina Catpenter and her sister Blancat, and the dubstep artist MZK. This last acquaintance was perched on Sabrina's shoulder, dressed in his firebird-decorated swim shorts.

She quickly stepped up the stairs to the main deck, and took in the sight of her partying friends.

A total of about three dozen animals of varying sizes and species were standing on deck, mingling, sipping cocktails or other drinks. Everyone was dressed in their finest, freshest swimsuits of all colors, shapes and sizes. Some were busy kicking their paws and hooves back and forth in the little, heated moon pool in the cool evening air. Others danced to the tropical house music playing from the speakers near the bow. Still others leapt from the deck of the yacht and splashed down into the Sound beneath.