Doubled Up

Chanel
Since I didn't have anything to do today and Hakeem wanted to go play with the other kids at Ms. Regina's house I text Jasmine to see what she was up to today. She told me everybody was at the house I met them at. I'm guessing that was a regular place that they hand out.

I was hoping to see Roddy and actually have a conversation with him today. Something about him makes me want to get to know him.

I took a shower and quickly flat ironed my hair. I threw on some lashes and some lip gloss and jumped in some clothes. I wore a one piece short set with a camo jacket with my camo van slide ins. I put a couple of my chains on so I didn't feel so plain and finished off by spraying on some perfume. I grabbed my purse and walked out the house.

I walked down the street and towards the house. As I walked up I saw Jasmine, Joshua, Berk, and Roddy sitting on the porch.

"Awww look who it is." Berk said getting up and giving me a hug.

"Hey everybody." I said sitting on an empty chair.

"Boy leave her alone." Jasmine said to Berk."Wassup girl."

"What y'all up to?" I asked.

"Shit we been sitting here for like a hour doing nothing." Joshua said.

"No we been listening to you and Jasmine going back and forth." Berk said and Joshua hit him in the back of the head.

I looked over at Roddy and he had that straight face that he always had like it was something heavy on his mind. He had on a white T-shirt that looked straight out the pack with a gold chain on. He had on some green pants and some white air forces. I looked over his outfit and back up at his face and he caught me staring at him. We both smiled, but I looked away a little embarrassed.

"Here. You thought you was slick the other day." Roddy said handing me the $50 that I had left on the dresser at Ms. Regina's last week.

"That's for Ms. Regina." I said shaking my head refusing to take it out of his hand.

"I already told you she not gone take it. She loves kids." He said putting the fifty on my leg. Jasmine and Berk were arguing on the steps not paying me and Roddy any attention.

"Is Ms. Regina your grandma?" I asked. He nodded.

"That's crazy I lived there for a month and never knew you lived right there." I said.

"I'm just never home." He said. The ice cream truck came around the block and all the little kids came running and chasing the truck on their bikes and it finally stopped in front of the house we were at.

Joshua gave Roddy and look. Roddy pulled a take out bag from behind the chair and walked over to the truck with Joshua right next to him.

"Chanel you want some ice cream?" Jasmine asked me.

"You think he has change for a $50?" I only had my card on me and the fifty dollars that Roddy just gave back to me.

"Girl we don't pay for ice cream. Roddy always give the man some money so all the kids can get something." She said getting up. I followed Jasmine to the truck with Berk right behind us. I saw the ice cream truck driver hand Roddy the takeout bag back, but this time it was filled with something. I didn't mean to be nosey, but shit they doing this all in the open anyway.

"Everybody get one thing. Don't be greedy." The truck driver said to the kids after Roddy passed him a hundred dollar bill. All the kids started telling their orders to the man while me and Jasmine waited our turn.

"What y'all want?" The man asked us.

"Can I have a cookie ice cream sandwich." I said.

"Give me a jolly rancher bomb pop." Jasmine said.