Nightmares

it was late in the night in the Addison apartments. everyone was laying in their bed sleeping away, except one person. Sal held his chest, panting slightly from the nightmare that had just awoken him. this wasn't a strange occurrence, it happened quiet often actually. often enough his walkie talkie laid on his pillow just in case he needed it. this was one of those times he did. he grabbed his walkie talkie and wiped the tears from his cheeks.

"L-Larry?"

it was quiet on the other end and Sal became more desperate.

"Lar-Larry?"

he winced as his voice cracked and he sniffled softly before letting the talk button go. Larry groaned softly and shook his head, grabbing his walkie talkie.

"Sally face? you okay? "

he rubbed his eye's, unaware Lisa, his mother was listening in on a walkie talkie she'd bought. she was worried. Larry had disappeared in the night several times and she woke up to him trying to sneak back in. he never gave her a real answer other than he was out. it surprised her to hear Sal this broken.

"Sal? "

"I... can you....*sighs* I-I had another nightmare."

Larry sat up and rubbed his eye's.

"how bad was it? "

he could hear Sal's shaky breath.

"th-the dogs Larry. I-I couldn't fight them off. th-they kept... I couldn'... the blood was everywhere...."

Larry pulled on his pants.

"hold on Sal. I'm on my way okay? I'll be there in a second."

"but I... what about your mom?"

"I'll just tell her I got up and went for a walk like I always do. I promise I won't say anything to her, until you say its okay."

it was quiet a moment.

"okay... the doors unlocked.... I'm sorry. I know you're tired."

Larry rubbed his eye's again and walked out of his room.

"not as tired as you are Sally. I'll be up in a few."

it was quiet as Larry headed for the door.

"Larry." Lisa said, walking out of her room.

"oh hey mom, I'm just-" Larry started. Lisa held up the walkie talkie.

"going to Sal's. go. stay with him and make sure he's okay. just stay with him, pour kid, his dad's not even there to stay with him." Lisa said softly. Larry smiled slightly.

"don't tell him you know." Larry said.

"don't worry I won't." Lisa said. Larry walked out.

"Larry?"

"I'm in the elevator Sal."

"no... I just.... thank you. dad used to help... before he left."

Sal's dad had been gone 3 weeks because of his new job, but he would be back next week.

"I know Sal. he'll be back soon."

Larry stepped out of the elevator and headed for Sal's apartment. he locked the door behind himself, heading straight for Sal's room. seeing Sal curled up on his bed, clutching the walkie talkie like his life depended on it, was not a new sight for Larry, but it didn't make it any easier. his heart still throbbed in pity when he saw it.