VI

Frank, Frankson, Figgins, Fitzgerald...

Sebastian scanned the Fitzgerald section, looking for a book when he heard voices.

"Then why did you break up with me?"

"I don't want to talk to you."

He froze, immediately identifying the voices. Kurt and Anderson.

Kurt sounded distinctly uncomfortable.

He walked over to them, sitting against the shelves next to Kurt, the farthest he could get from Anderson. "Did you know that they don't have the Great Gatsby here?"

Kurt looked over at him, looking relieved. Sebastian could see the unshed tears in his eyes. "They don't? That's ridiculous."

"I know, right? It's a classic. Hey, did you know tha-"

"Nobody fucking cares, Smythe."

Sebastian was used to this. At this point it was like a light scratch on the back of his hand. He got it every single day. Multiple times.

Kurt, however, was appalled. "Blaine! What the hell?"

"We're having a conversation. He's interrupting."

"Actually, I believe I heard Kurt say that he didn't want to talk to you." Sebastian commented.

"And I believe that I told you nobody fucking cares what you think."

Sebastian rolled his eyes, not responding. He'd learned that merely encouraged them.

"Leave him alone, Blaine. You're being rude. And maybe I care what he thinks."

There was a beat of silence.

Sebastian was in awe. Nobody had ever done that for him. He just dealt with it.

He heard Blaine scoff, standing up and leaving. He still didn't know what to say, so he said the truth.

"Thank you. Nobody's ever done that for me before." Sebastian's voice was soft.

"It's true. And thank you. I thought he'd never leave me alone."

"Hopefully he'll get over it."

"That'd be surprising. He holds grudges so long, everyone else forgets that it happened."

Sebastian wasn't an idiot. He could tell Kurt was still on the verge of tears from helplessness, sadness, and frustration.

"It's okay to cry, you know. It doesn't make you weak. Ever since the moment you were born, it's always just been a sign that you're alive," he said softly.

"What? I don't need to cry. I don't cry. I'm fine."

Sebastian sighed. He knew he had to be harsh with this.

"Cut the crap, Kurt. You moved here to be with your prince charming, and you just broke up with him and found out he's an asshole. You have a right to be sad. Face it, he doesn't care about you anymore. It's all about status now."

That did it. Kurt threw his arms around Sebastian, absolutely sobbing.

"You're right," he sobbed. "You're absolutely right. I just can't handle all this."

Sebastian wrapped his arms around him. "Shh. It's okay. It'll be okay. You don't have to handle it alone, Kurt. You have me now. I mean, I'm not much, but I'm here."