Ice Trail

The Cherubi's frozen smile, glazed eyes and the missing small, pink ball might have been left in the room I just exited, but they latch themselves onto my mind. I steal a glance at the two empty Ice Heals beside the Pokémon through the glass, lower my head and shuffle to the counter. It's a short distance that feels terribly long with numerous pairs of eyes watching me and whispers possibly criticising me of my failure.

Nurse Joy is consoling the teary trainer in my peripheral vision so I stand at my designated position, plaster a smile on my face and face the world. My mouth twitches as I try to hold back my tears. Everything's gonna be a-okay, everything's gonna be fine, everything's gonna be perfect and Mareep may safely graze.

Minutes later, the trainer leaves the centre noiselessly and into the boundless white. Nurse Joy strides toward me and pats my head twice. She smells of antiseptic and the smell is stronger when she bends over a little to see me eye to eye and wipes my tears with her right thumb.

"I know it's hard for you to accept it since it's your first time helping out, but don't beat yourself up over it, alright? Everyone has their first times and we can't expect everything to go too smoothly. She's bitten and attacked by an Abomasnow, and we did our best, didn't we? You pushed the stretcher in very quickly too!"

"Chans." I nod and frown.

Nurse Joy takes my stubby arms and squeezes them lightly. "Why don't you take a breather? It might do you a power of good."

"Chansey."

She envelops me in a warm embrace, giggles and strokes my hair-like extensions. "Cheer up!"

"Ch—"

"It's okay. There aren't a lot of trainers at the moment because many people have gone to the rink. Besides, the other Chansey and I can handle everything here. Just clear your head, alright?"

"Chansey." I produce a small smile and walk out, turning around to nod at Nurse Joy. She waves at me and lets out a lighthearted laughter. I face the parting sliding glass doors and plunge my petite feet into the snow.

Snowpoint City invites chilly winds all year round so the coldness is no surprise. Today, diamond snow shimmers down the sky. I pass by the pine tree with a scintillating star on its crown, colourful lights and leaves lined with snow. It's beautiful.

The gym enters my vision and I run into the building. Inside, crowds have gathered and occupied the seats, leaving a number of people and Pokémon standing at the aisles. I place myself at the sides of the rink.

"It's gonna start soon! I can't wait to see Yukio and Shadow!" A nearby girl squeals.

Other than the gym challenge, Nurse Joy told me that the rink's the next popular option. As for who Yukio is, I'm not exactly sure. What's so interesting about his shadow?

A boy steps into the rink, the blades attached to the bottom of his shoes cutting the ice gently and making a dark line to the centre. The crowd cheers. I tiptoe a little to take a look at his shadow. I don't understand.

A man holds a microphone opposite of me and says, "Today, we have Yukio and Shadow who will showcase their spectacular performance! The music they'll be ice skating to is none other than his self-composed 'Snow Pledge'!"

A gentle music soothes my nerves as the boy tilts his head up and his hands cross his chest to touch his chin. He spreads his legs open and pushes himself forward, waltzing across the ice. Footsteps echo through the rink while Yukio relaxes his shoulders, moves to the centre and spins. As he lowers his body till it nearly touches the ice, his shadow changes second by second. My mouth is a small 'o' and I touch the egg in my pouch. Is he alright? Does he need me to heal him?