Chapter Eight

After weeks of redesigning, Melanie's dress was finally finished. Nora was standing with a pink tape measure around her neck between a body length mirror and a curtain to the dressing room. Melanie was fidgeting around behind the curtain trying to get into her dress. After a few moments couldn't help but ask, "So how are things going with you and Matt?"

Nora didn't want to tell her friend every juicy detail of the things that go on between her and Matt because she knew Melanie would tease her. Mainly, she didn't want to jinx it because everything was going great between them. "Mm...It's ok." That was vague. "I'm testing the waters." That was even vaguer.

"Testing the waters?" Melanie poked her head out from behind the curtain. "That water must taste really good if you ask me. Come on, spill!"

That made Nora blushed. She turned around and rolled her eyes trying not to smile. "What is there to tell?"

"Oh, you know, is he good kisser? Yata-yata-yata..." Melanie poked her head out again. "But how was it?" She moved her eyebrows up and down in a quick motion. "And don't tell me it was ok because no man is going to leave you blushing twenty-four seven if it wasn't."

Nora let out a little scream and giggled like a high school school-girl with her friend. "I'm not blushing!"

"Oh please, I caught you smiling before I walked in here. If you're smiling that much you must be in love or something."

It got really quiet for moment. Love? Nora's mind couldn't quite comprehend what her friend had said. She just stood very still as if frozen and quiet while she gathered her thoughts. She wasn't blinking. Her heart was beating but it seemed as if she was barely breathing. Love? It was as if that four-letter word scared her and it should. The last time she heard the word was from her last boyfriend, Eddie and he was madly in love with her. He would tell her everyday how much he loved her, but Nora never said it back. She cared a lot about him but saying that she loved him wouldn't have been right because she wasn't in love with him in the same way as he was in with her. One day, a week before Valentine's Day, Eddie wrote a note to Nora letting her know that he couldn't be in a relationship with someone who doesn't love him back. He even mentioned how he was going to propose to her on Valentine's Day and that he changed his mind before she broke his heart even more.

That wasn't love, then what is? Could she be in love with Matt? He is all she ever thinks about. He drives her crazy when she's near him and he gives her butterflies when she's not. She smiles at just the thought of him. He's said on multiple occasions how he cares about her feelings and will never try to hurt her. That has to mean something. What if Matt's just another Eddie, he's in love with her but she doesn't love him? He did bring her to meet his mother; which by the look on his mother's face, she was even surprised that Matt brought home a girl. Whether she's in love with him or not, how would she know it if she was?

Nora was quiet for too long. Melanie was puzzled when her friend didn't answer her question so she busted out from behind the curtain and asked in a sincere tone, "Oh god, are you?"

Nora's mind still wasn't operating but her eyes were working just fine. She blinked simultaneously and gasped a little at the sight of Melanie in her beautiful wedding dress. She formed a half smile and said, "You're so beautiful." She completely ignored Melanie's question to something she was trying hard to avoid and focused her attention on how beautiful she looked. She reached out and hugged her friend. With her head hanging over Melanie's shoulder, she squeezed her eyes together releasing a small tear from her eye. Nora couldn't believe her masterpiece would look this good. "Ben is going to die when he sees you."

Melanie didn't mind changing the subject. "Well that's the idea." They both laughed. "How can I ever repay you for this?"

"We've been friends for too long for you to be worried about that. Just go and marry the love of your life, that's all I ask in return."